How Many Amps Does a Transformer Need to Run 5 Electric Blinds?

In summary, the speaker wants to convert 5 electric blinds from battery to an AC/DC wall transformer. Each blind uses 8 AA batteries and has a motor rated at 0.6 amp and 7.2 watt. They plan to wire the motors in series and are unsure of the amperage needed for the transformer. The suggested amperage is 12V 3A if the motors are wired in parallel, but it is also recommended to wire them in parallel for better synchronization. It is also important to consider the voltage for the control circuitry. Using a 9 volt transformer with a full wave bridge rectifier/filter is an option if the voltage is not a concern.
paul.frick.129
I want to convert 5 electric blinds from battery to an ac/dc wall transformer. Each blind operates with 8 AA batteries and the motors are rated at 0.6 amp and 7.2 watt. When you hit the up or down button on the remote, all 5 motors operate at once. I want to run them off of one transformer and will wire the motors in series. I know I need a 12 volt transformer (8 1.5 volt AA batteries). My question is amperage. If each motor is 0.6 A, do I need a 3.0 A transformer?

Engineering news on Phys.org
12V 3A is correct if they are wired in parallel. In series, they would require 60V at 0.6A.
But I would wire them in parallel rather than series. They will still not be synchronised, but will be more likely to move together at the same rate.

You appear to need 12 DC. The batteries are also used to power the control circuitry, so you might want to be careful not to go over voltage. If this is not a problem you could use a 9 volt transformer working into a full wave bridge rectifier/filter.

What is a small electric motor?

A small electric motor is a device that converts electrical energy into mechanical energy, causing the motor to rotate and perform work.

What are the components of a small electric motor?

The components of a small electric motor typically include a rotor, stator, commutator, brushes, and a power source.

How does a small electric motor work?

A small electric motor works by using the interaction between the magnetic fields of the rotor and stator to produce rotational motion. When an electric current is applied to the motor, it creates a magnetic field that interacts with the permanent magnets on the rotor, causing it to rotate.

What are the applications of a small electric motor?

Small electric motors have a wide range of applications, such as in household appliances, power tools, robotics, and automotive systems. They are also used in industrial settings for tasks such as pumping, machining, and conveyor systems.

How do I choose the right small electric motor for my project?

When choosing a small electric motor, consider factors such as the required torque, speed, power source, and size. It is also important to select a motor that is compatible with your power supply and can handle the load and conditions of your project.