How to Prove the Small Gradient Identity?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with proving an identity involving partial derivatives. The individual has found determinants for both sides of the equation and is trying to prove that they are equal. They discuss using the product rule and finding errors in their work to ultimately reach the conclusion that the two determinants are equal.
mmmboh
Hi, I was asked to prove this identity, I found the determinants for both the left and the right side, and now I basically have to prove that (d/dy)(f(dg/dz))=(df/dy)(dg/dz), the d's are actual partials though. Can anyone give me an idea on how to prove this?

el5ooi.jpg

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
mmmboh said:
Hi, I was asked to prove this identity, I found the determinants for both the left and the right side, and now I basically have to prove that (d/dy)(f(dg/dz))=(df/dy)(dg/dz), the d's are actual partials though. Can anyone give me an idea on how to prove this?

Thanks.

You can use the subscript button and subscripts to write partial derivatives. What you are asking to show is:

(fgz)y = fygz

That's going to be difficult since the product rule gives;

(fgz)y = fygz+ fgzy

Hard to see where your error is if you don't show your work.

[tex]\partial[/tex]/[tex]\partial[/tex]x [tex]\partial[/tex]/[tex]\partial[/tex]y [tex]\partial[/tex]/[tex]\partial[/tex]z

f[tex]\partial[/tex]g/[tex]\partial[/tex]x f[tex]\partial[/tex]g/[tex]\partial[/tex]y f[tex]\partial[/tex]g/[tex]\partial[/tex]z

[tex]\partial[/tex]f/[tex]\partial[/tex]x [tex]\partial[/tex]/[tex]\partial[/tex]y [tex]\partial[/tex]g/[tex]\partial[/tex]z

[tex]\partial[/tex]g/[tex]\partial[/tex]x [tex]\partial[/tex]g/[tex]\partial[/tex]y [tex]\partial[/tex]g/[tex]\partial[/tex]z

Those are my two determinants. I did the cross product, and since there are so many terms I will just write examples, for the first determinant my first term is ([tex]\partial[/tex]/[tex]\partial[/tex]y)(f[tex]\partial[/tex]g/[tex]\partial[/tex]z), and my first term for the second determinant is ([tex]\partial[/tex]f/[tex]\partial[/tex]y)([tex]\partial[/tex]g/[tex]\partial[/tex]z)

So unless what I did was wrong those would have to be equal :confused:

mmmboh said:
[tex]\partial[/tex]/[tex]\partial[/tex]x [tex]\partial[/tex]/[tex]\partial[/tex]y [tex]\partial[/tex]/[tex]\partial[/tex]z

f[tex]\partial[/tex]g/[tex]\partial[/tex]x f[tex]\partial[/tex]g/[tex]\partial[/tex]y f[tex]\partial[/tex]g/[tex]\partial[/tex]z

[tex]\partial[/tex]f/[tex]\partial[/tex]x [tex]\partial[/tex]/[tex]\partial[/tex]y [tex]\partial[/tex]g/[tex]\partial[/tex]z

[tex]\partial[/tex]g/[tex]\partial[/tex]x [tex]\partial[/tex]g/[tex]\partial[/tex]y [tex]\partial[/tex]g/[tex]\partial[/tex]z

Those are my two determinants. I did the cross product, and since there are so many terms I will just write examples, for the first determinant my first term is ([tex]\partial[/tex]/[tex]\partial[/tex]y)(f[tex]\partial[/tex]g/[tex]\partial[/tex]z),

You need to expand that partial using the product rule, which will give you two terms. And where is the second term in the expansion of the determinant? You only have half of it.

and my first term for the second determinant is ([tex]\partial[/tex]f/[tex]\partial[/tex]y)([tex]\partial[/tex]g/[tex]\partial[/tex]z)

And you only have half of that determinant too.

Ok the first term in the expansion of the first determinant is (fgz)y-(fgy)z, and the first term in the expansion for the second determinant is fygz-gyfz.

When I expand the first expansion of the first determinant I get fygz+fgzy-fzgy-fgyz...ah and the zy are interchangeable and so you can cancel two terms out, giving you fygz-fzgy which equals the first expression of the second determinant! Thanks!

You're welcome.

What is a Small Gradient Identity Proof?

A Small Gradient Identity Proof is a mathematical proof that verifies the identity of a function by showing that its gradient is small. This is useful in fields such as machine learning and optimization, where small gradients indicate that a function is close to its optimal solution.

How is a Small Gradient Identity Proof used in science?

In science, Small Gradient Identity Proofs are often used to verify the accuracy of mathematical models and algorithms. They can also be used to optimize processes and identify areas for improvement.

What are some applications of Small Gradient Identity Proofs?

Small Gradient Identity Proofs have a wide range of applications in various fields, including machine learning, optimization, signal processing, and control systems. They can also be used in image and speech recognition, data compression, and natural language processing.

What is the difference between a Small Gradient Identity Proof and a regular identity proof?

The main difference between a Small Gradient Identity Proof and a regular identity proof is that the former focuses on the gradient of a function, while the latter verifies the equality of two expressions. Small Gradient Identity Proofs are specifically used to show that a function is close to its optimal solution, while regular identity proofs can be used for a variety of purposes.

How can I create a Small Gradient Identity Proof?

To create a Small Gradient Identity Proof, you will need a strong understanding of calculus and optimization techniques. You will also need to be familiar with the specific function or model you are trying to verify. It is recommended to consult with a mathematician or expert in your field for assistance in creating a Small Gradient Identity Proof.