1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Small Graphing Question

1. Nov 12, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have a question for a graph where I'm basically trying to find the acceleration using a table which has a time squared value starting at 7.132 seconds squared and ending at 9.686 seconds squared. I need to find a regression (I need to find the slope for the line of best fit. This is the graph:

The first problem is the error bars. I got y error bars but when I click on format options for the excel graph, it doesn't show x bars options so how do I add error bars? And my other question is, how/should I add (0,0) to the graph because obviously the displacement is 0 m at 0 seconds but this wasn't conducted in the experiment so wouldn't it skew the slope of the line of best fit?

2. Relevant equations

Here's the relation:
    y= mx + b --------> s(displacement) = 1/2 a(acceleration)*t^2(seconds squared)

and here's the table:

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2007 #2
    Should I set 7.132 to be the x intercept?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?