LaTeX Fonts: Download & Use in Word/Mathtype

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter bomba923
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, LaTeX uses a type setting system called computer modern. Tex users can download a font for use in Word or Mathtype.
bomba923
*what font does LaTex use? Can I download somewhere for use on Word or Mathtype?
(this isn't secret/hidden/copyrighted info, is it? :redface: )

Physics news on Phys.org
There are a lot of programs for Tex and LaTeX it is a type setting system.
Here is a user a Tex user group.
http://www.tug.org/

I think it's called something like computer modern.

I think bomba923 is talking about the math typsetting capablities, is that just a complex font that I could download somewhere? I though Tex and LaTex was more complicated then that.

Eh? He asked what font latex uses. I believe the standard font is called computer modern and was desigend by Knuth from scratch when he wanted to fix a font for the original tex mark up language. This is the font used in the standard dvi output when running latex on foo.tex

I've never seen it used outside of latex, so I've no idea if you can install it for use elsewhere.

Check out http://www.ams.org/tex/type1-fonts.html. For Windows, download the cmps-pc.zip file, and read the README file for installation instructions.
If someone did want to know, LaTeX is a TeX add-on. The installation does seem quite large and complicated- and there are lots of extra capabilities you may never use. If you only want to type math equations and such, Word comes with Equation Editor; I haven't used it much, so I can't say how good it is. It may not be installed by default, but if you still have your install disc, you can install it easily. If you just want some extra symbols, you can create keyboard shortcuts (like "Ctrl+=" for an equivalence symbol- this is what I do) through Insert>Symbol, or, outside of Word, you can use the Character Map found through Start>Programs>Accessories>SystemTools.
If you really want TeX and LaTeX and are running Windows, proTeXt is recommended- there are very handy instructions.

Last edited:
Having seen the result of Word's attempt at type setting, I can confirm the output is awful. Latex is easy to learn and free to install and pretty much works on any platform you can think of, plus the output is in, initially, dvi format, thus small files, and can easily be converted to ps and pdf format, and even html. The resulting file is smaller than any word document by a huge scale factor and is completely portable.

Well, I installed a font just to test it, and everything was easy: download, extract, install through ControlPanel>Fonts>File>InstallNewFont. I think I'll install them all- they're very attractive. If you have a version of Windows older than 2000, you may have to install Adobe Type Manager Light (it's free). I couldn't find out if they would work with MathType, but you can just try it for yourself.

1. How can I download LaTeX fonts to use in Word/Mathtype?

To download LaTeX fonts, you can go to the LaTeX Fonts website or any other reputable font repository website. Once you have found the font you want, click on the download button and save the font file to your computer.

2. Can I use LaTeX fonts in Word or Mathtype?

Yes, you can use LaTeX fonts in both Word and Mathtype. However, you will need to install the fonts on your computer first before you can use them in these programs.

3. How do I install LaTeX fonts on my computer?

To install LaTeX fonts on your computer, first, unzip the font file if it is compressed. Then, go to your computer's font folder (usually located in the control panel or settings) and click on "install new font". From there, select the font file you want to install and click "install". The font will now be available for use in Word and Mathtype.

4. Can I use LaTeX fonts on both Mac and Windows?

Yes, LaTeX fonts can be used on both Mac and Windows computers. However, the installation process may differ slightly between the two operating systems.

5. Are LaTeX fonts free to use?

The majority of LaTeX fonts are free to use, but it is always best to check the license agreement of the specific font you want to use. Some fonts may require attribution or may not be used for commercial purposes.