Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Small Machined springs

1. Mar 24, 2015 #1
    Hi,
    I usually buy off-the-shelf springs, however I am working on a design that requires some very specific features on each side of the spring (if possible), however this is a very small device, (its a probe).

Anyways, I was thinking of getting a machined screw, as I've seen some very good looking ones and very complex features on the ends. I was hesitant however, I wanted to know if anyone has had experience with Polycarbonate (stock from McMaster) or even delrin.
    Do you think its possible to machine out PC or delrin into a spring with an OD of aprox, .180" ?

I mean, I dont doubt the machine's capabilities to do it, Im more curious about its performance as a springing material. . . Has anyone had experience with this?
    What material properties should I be looking for when deciding a spring material? as far as I know PC is very ductile and should not pose a problem, however I am worried about its ability to go past its yield strength (even tho Im using it mostly as a compression spring)

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2015 #2

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Try doing a search for plastic springs. They're available off the shelf.
    http://www.leespring.com/int_learn_LeeP.asp
    Alternatively, if you don't need solid plastic, you might consider having steel springs coated with rubber or plastic.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook