Can't Highlight and Backspace in Microsoft Word?

In summary, there is a glitch in Microsoft Word where users are unable to highlight and delete text using the backspace button. The solution is to either place the cursor in front of the text and hold it, or to uncheck the "Typing replaces selection" option in the Edit tab of the Tools menu. There is also a possibility that the Insert key may have been accidentally pressed, causing this issue.
AngelShare
Would anyone happen to know why I can't highlight a chunk of writing in Microsoft Word and then hit the backspace button to delete it? I press it but nothing happens so I now have to use the delete button which is odd...not used to it.:rofl:

The backspace button will work if I simply place the cursor in front of what I want to delete and hold it in (Which is slower, obviously.) but highlighting things and then deleting them is out of the question for some reason.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I have tried to duplicate this fault by using different fonts. Breaking the document into sections. Saving and re-saving. I can't get it to occur.

Have you tried rebooting your machine?
If all else fails try re-installing Word.

Got this from a quick search:
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/UnableToDeleteText.htm said:
If you look at the status bar, you will see that it is displaying the message “Delete Block? No (Yes).” If you press Y, the block will be deleted, but this is doubtless one more step than you want.

This is an indication that you have checked one or more of the options referring to WordPerfect on the General tab of Tools | Options. Clear both check boxes (these options are actually no help to most migrants from WordPerfect anyway), and you will not be asked for delete confirmation again.

AngelShare, I have had that problem before too. Don't know what brings it on, or what makes it go away. But next time it happens, I'll try -Job-'s idea.

Just wanted you to know you're not crazy...

Ah, thanks -Job-, got it fixed. Dave, if you're still having the same problem, go to Tools > Options > Edit, and make sure the "Typing replaces selection" option is checked. I have no idea how that got unchecked though...:)

AngelShare said:
I have no idea how that got unchecked though...:)

I would suspect accidental invocation of a keyboard shortcut while typing. I find this seems to happen following a finger-fumble.

what's a title?

Hi all,
Angelshare and Davec, this happens when you tick/untick the boxes, but *helpfully* ms have also made the keystroke - pressing the 'Inert' - also tick/untick these same boxes. Aren't we lucky <smirk>. :yuck:
So, be careful using the useful 'home' / 'end' pageup/down keys, that you don't hit the 'insert' key.
that's it.
Jimble
ps, looking for a way to teach my year 5 (9year olds) gravity - ideas on 'analogies for gravity' for this age group...

Ooops! just realsied that I'd typed 'Inert' and not 'Insert'. watatwit!

Thanks for the post and answers. I was having this same problem on my computer at work.

Tools - Options - Edit tab:

Check "Typing Replaces Selection" checkbox

What is a "Small Microsoft Word Problem"?

A "Small Microsoft Word Problem" refers to a common issue or error that users encounter while using the Microsoft Word program. It can include formatting errors, software crashes, or difficulty with certain features.

What are some examples of "Small Microsoft Word Problems"?

Examples of "Small Microsoft Word Problems" include alignment issues with text, difficulty inserting images or tables, and unexpected changes in font or formatting.

How can I fix a "Small Microsoft Word Problem"?

The solution to a "Small Microsoft Word Problem" depends on the specific issue. Some common solutions include restarting the program, checking for software updates, or adjusting formatting settings.

Why do "Small Microsoft Word Problems" occur?

"Small Microsoft Word Problems" can occur due to a variety of reasons, including software bugs, user error, or compatibility issues with other programs or devices.

Can I prevent "Small Microsoft Word Problems" from happening?

While some "Small Microsoft Word Problems" may be unavoidable, there are steps you can take to prevent or minimize them. These include regularly saving your work, keeping your software updated, and using the program's features correctly.