Proving Non-Existence of Solutions to a Small Number Theory Problem

In summary: I mean, not obvious to most of us, non-experts.In summary, the conversation discusses the process of solving a math problem using LaTeX and proper mathematical notation. The problem is to prove that there are no positive integers x and y that satisfy the equation x + y + xy = 36. The conversation includes a proposed solution and a discussion on how to finish the proof, including the use of symbols to represent contradiction. The conversation also mentions the use of quoting to see LaTeX code in a post.
mafagafo

Homework Statement

This is a problem I had as a margin note in an old notebook that I will recycle. I want write it using LaTeX. Problem is that I also want to write it using "proper" math notation instead of English words.

Firstly, I got this:
[tex]\textrm{Proof that }\nexists x, y \in \mathbb{N}^* | x + y + xy = 36[/tex]

Which seems to be correct. (Should 'x, y' be between parentheses?)

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\begin{gather}
\begin{aligned}
x + y + xy
&= x + xy + y \\
&= (x + 1) (y + 1) - 1 \\
&\therefore (x + 1) (y + 1) = 37 \\
&\therefore x = 0 \lor y = 0
\notag
\end{aligned}
\end{gather}[/tex]

Now the question: how to finish this? Obviously x = 0 or y = 0 is false as neither x nor y can be 0 as the set of all N but 0 does not include 0. How do I write this?

Physics news on Phys.org
That's pretty good but you need to say a bit more about what you are doing. You should, for example, write
that since 37 is a prime number either x+ 1= 1 and y+ 1= 37 or x+ 1= 37 and y+ 1= 1.

Then look at the two cases: if x+ 1= 1 then x= 0. But that is a contradiction because x must be a positive integer
If y+ 1= 1 then y= 0. But that is a contradiction because y must be a positive integer.

All right, I will write more! But first you need to teach me how (or point me a not too long book / guide / tutorial).

Which symbols do I use? I remember some '#' for "absurd" or "impossible" on paper, but I have no idea on how to do it here. Neither if that was correct.

mafagafo said:

Homework Statement

This is a problem I had as a margin note in an old notebook that I will recycle. I want write it using LaTeX. Problem is that I also want to write it using "proper" math notation instead of English words.

Firstly, I got this:
[tex]\textrm{Proof that }\nexists x, y \in \mathbb{N}^* | x + y + xy = 36[/tex]

Which seems to be correct. (Should 'x, y' be between parentheses?)

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\begin{gather}
\begin{aligned}
x + y + xy
&= x + xy + y \\
&= (x + 1) (y + 1) - 1 \\
&\therefore (x + 1) (y + 1) = 37 \\
&\therefore x = 0 \lor y = 0
\notag
\end{aligned}
\end{gather}[/tex]
What I would do is start by assuming that x + xy + y = 36.
Then x + xy + y + 1 - 1 = 36
##\Rightarrow## (x + 1)(y + 1) = 37
Since 37 is prime, its only factors are 1 and 37, so there's your contradiction.

As far as I can tell, there's no LaTeX symbol that specifically denotes "contradiction." Some people use # for this purpose. A symbol I've seen for a long time is two arrows with their heads touching, like this: ##\Rightarrow\Leftarrow##.
mafagafo said:
Now the question: how to finish this? Obviously x = 0 or y = 0 is false as neither x nor y can be 0 as the set of all N but 0 does not include 0. How do I write this?

Mark44 said:
What I would do is start by assuming that x + xy + y = 36.
Then x + xy + y + 1 - 1 = 36
##\Rightarrow## (x + 1)(y + 1) = 37
Since 37 is prime, its only factors are 1 and 37, so there's your contradiction.

As far as I can tell, there's no LaTeX symbol that specifically denotes "contradiction." Some people use # for this purpose. A symbol I've seen for a long time is two arrows with their heads touching, like this: ##\Rightarrow\Leftarrow##.
Were you going to comment something else then changed your mind?

It follows that x = 0 or y = 0 because either x + 1 = 1 or y + 1 = 1.

Will look up that symbol you wrote.

mafagafo said:
Were you going to comment something else then changed your mind?
At first I didn't understand how you arrived at x = 0 or y = 0, but saw you had explained it following your proof, so I removed my question.
mafagafo said:
It follows that x = 0 or y = 0 because either x + 1 = 1 or y + 1 = 1.

Will look up that symbol you wrote.
It's two symbols: # #\Rightarrow\Leftarrow # #
The spaces between the # characters is to keep the above from rendering...

I know how to make it, I just want to look it up in a book or Wikipedia to get some usage examples.

In fact, as you may know, unless you use an image with an obscure filename*, I just need to quote you in order to see your [itex]\LaTeX[/itex] code.

* Even if it was an image, there are still ways to try to get LaTeX from it.

Mark44 said:
The best thing I got from this thread. Thanks.
It makes me sad that Q.E.A. is not widely used (what inclines me towards avoiding it).
Anyway, this is a picture of what I rendered. Suggestions wanted.
upload_2014-12-8_15-21-6.png

As Mark somehow suggested, I added one not-so-obvious extra step.

1. What is small number theory?

Small number theory is a branch of mathematics that focuses on the properties of integers and the relationships between them. It deals with numbers that are relatively small in magnitude, typically less than 100.

2. What are some common examples of small number theory problems?

Some common examples of small number theory problems include finding prime numbers, determining divisibility, and solving equations involving small integers.

3. How is small number theory used in real-world applications?

Small number theory has a wide range of applications in fields such as computer science, cryptography, and physics. It is used to create secure encryption algorithms, analyze data structures, and model physical systems.

4. What are some key concepts in small number theory?

Some key concepts in small number theory include divisibility, prime numbers, modular arithmetic, and the fundamental theorem of arithmetic.

5. What is the importance of studying small number theory?

Studying small number theory helps to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as an understanding of the fundamental properties of numbers. It also has practical applications in various fields and can lead to advancements in technology and science.