1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Small number theory problem

1. Dec 8, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This is a problem I had as a margin note in an old notebook that I will recycle. I want write it using LaTeX. Problem is that I also want to write it using "proper" math notation instead of English words.

Firstly, I got this:
    [tex]\textrm{Proof that }\nexists x, y \in \mathbb{N}^* | x + y + xy = 36[/tex]

Which seems to be correct. (Should 'x, y' be between parentheses?)

2. Relevant equations
    None.

3. The attempt at a solution
    [tex]\begin{gather}
    \begin{aligned}
    x + y + xy
    &= x + xy + y \\
    &= (x + 1) (y + 1) - 1 \\
    &\therefore (x + 1) (y + 1) = 37 \\
    &\therefore x = 0 \lor y = 0
    \notag
    \end{aligned}
    \end{gather}[/tex]

Now the question: how to finish this? Obviously x = 0 or y = 0 is false as neither x nor y can be 0 as the set of all N but 0 does not include 0. How do I write this?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2014 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That's pretty good but you need to say a bit more about what you are doing. You should, for example, write
    that since 37 is a prime number either x+ 1= 1 and y+ 1= 37 or x+ 1= 37 and y+ 1= 1.

Then look at the two cases: if x+ 1= 1 then x= 0. But that is a contradiction because x must be a positive integer
    If y+ 1= 1 then y= 0. But that is a contradiction because y must be a positive integer.

4. Dec 8, 2014 #3
    All right, I will write more! But first you need to teach me how (or point me a not too long book / guide / tutorial).

Which symbols do I use? I remember some '#' for "absurd" or "impossible" on paper, but I have no idea on how to do it here. Neither if that was correct.

5. Dec 8, 2014 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

What I would do is start by assuming that x + xy + y = 36.
    Then x + xy + y + 1 - 1 = 36
    ##\Rightarrow## (x + 1)(y + 1) = 37
    Since 37 is prime, its only factors are 1 and 37, so there's your contradiction.

As far as I can tell, there's no LaTeX symbol that specifically denotes "contradiction." Some people use # for this purpose. A symbol I've seen for a long time is two arrows with their heads touching, like this: ##\Rightarrow\Leftarrow##.

6. Dec 8, 2014 #5
    Were you going to comment something else then changed your mind?

It follows that x = 0 or y = 0 because either x + 1 = 1 or y + 1 = 1.

Will look up that symbol you wrote.

7. Dec 8, 2014 #6

Mark44

At first I didn't understand how you arrived at x = 0 or y = 0, but saw you had explained it following your proof, so I removed my question.
    It's two symbols: # #\Rightarrow\Leftarrow # #
    The spaces between the # characters is to keep the above from rendering...

8. Dec 8, 2014 #7
    I know how to make it, I just want to look it up in a book or Wikipedia to get some usage examples.

In fact, as you may know, unless you use an image with an obscure filename*, I just need to quote you in order to see your [itex]\LaTeX[/itex] code.

* Even if it was an image, there are still ways to try to get LaTeX from it.

9. Dec 8, 2014 #8

Mark44

10. Dec 8, 2014 #9
    The best thing I got from this thread. Thanks.
    It makes me sad that Q.E.A. is not widely used (what inclines me towards avoiding it).
    Anyway, this is a picture of what I rendered. Suggestions wanted.
    upload_2014-12-8_15-21-6.png

As Mark somehow suggested, I added one not-so-obvious extra step.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted