Small Osc. Pendulum+Springs

• Thread starter CNX
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the Lagrangian of three pendulums connected by springs in terms of natural units. There is confusion about the number of normal modes and the use of natural units. The final conclusion is that the normal modes have been correctly solved for and the use of natural units is a matter of convenience.
CNX

Homework Statement

Three pendulums hand side-by-side and have there masses connected horizontally via springs. All lengths and masses are equal. Find the Lagrangian and put it in terms of "natural units".

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]T = 1/2 m l^2 (\dot{\theta_1}^2 + \dot{\theta_2}^2 + \dot{\theta_3}^2)[/tex]

[tex]V = 1/2 k (l \theta_1 - l \theta_2)^2 + 1/2 k (l \theta_2 - l \theta_3)^2[/tex]

Using natural units [itex]q_i = \sqrt{k} x_i[/itex] and [itex]q' = dq/d\tau[/itex] where [itex]\tau=\omega t[/itex]:

[tex]L = 1/2(q^{'2}_{1} + q^{'2}_{2} + q^{'2}_{3}) - 1/2(q^2_1 + q^2_2 + q^2_3) + (q_1 q_2 + q_2 q_3 - 1/2 q^2_2)[/tex]

When I try to find the normal modes I only get 3, but since there are three degrees of freedom shouldn't there be three normal modes? I think my T or V expressions must be wrong somewhere. If they are not I can write out the matrices...

When there is no (1,3) or (3,1) entry in either the T or V matrix, i.e. this case (using natural units), will there ever be 3 modes when solving characteristic eq. for that matrix?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
CNX said:
When I try to find the normal modes I only get 3, but since there are three degrees of freedom shouldn't there be three normal modes?

Do you mean you only found one normal mode with [tex]\omega[/tex] = 3?

Your 3x3 matrix should have 3 eigenvalues and hence 3 normal modes, right?

No I mean I get [itex]\omega^2_1 = 0,~\omega^2_2 = 3/m l^2, ~\omega^2_3 = 1/ m l^2[/itex]

From

[tex]-.375 m l^2 \omega+.500 m^2 l^4 \omega^2-.125 m^3 l^6 \omega^3=0[/tex]

I don't really get the idea of the natural units. Is it just convenience, i.e. solve the eigenvalue problem and then convert back?

Last edited:
To be honest I've already finished this topic but I've not heard of "natural units", but if you're solving for normal modes then what you've done looks correct...you have already found the 3 normal frequencies.

Thanks

1. What is a small oscillating pendulum?

A small oscillating pendulum is a physical system consisting of a mass suspended from a fixed point by a string or rod. The mass is able to swing back and forth in a repetitive motion known as oscillation.

2. How do you measure the period of a small oscillating pendulum?

The period of a small oscillating pendulum can be measured by timing the number of swings it makes in a certain amount of time. The period is the time it takes for the pendulum to complete one full swing back and forth.

3. What is the relationship between the length of the pendulum and its period?

The period of a small oscillating pendulum is directly proportional to the square root of its length. This means that as the length of the pendulum increases, the period also increases.

4. How do springs affect the motion of a small oscillating pendulum?

Springs can be used to alter the period of a small oscillating pendulum. By attaching a spring to the mass, the restoring force on the pendulum changes, which affects the period of oscillation.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of a small oscillating pendulum?

The accuracy of a small oscillating pendulum can be affected by factors such as air resistance, friction at the pivot point, and the precision of the measuring instrument used to time the swings. Environmental factors such as temperature and humidity can also have an impact on the accuracy of the pendulum's motion.