1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Small oscillations of a spring-pendulum

1. Sep 10, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A spring of rest length L (no tension) is connected to a support at one of the ends and has a mass m attached to the other. Write the Lagrange equations. Discuss the movement for small departures from equilibrium.

2. Relevant equations

I did the first part, and I found the equations of motion to be
    $$
    \ddot r = r\dot\phi^2 + g \cos\phi - \frac km (r - L)
    $$
    and
    $$
    \ddot \phi = -\frac gr \sin\phi - \frac 2r \dot r \dot\phi,
    $$
    where r measures the distance of the mass from the pendulum pivot and ɸ measures the angle the pendulum makes with the vertical. I am told that these are correct.

3. The attempt at a solution

Now I want to think about the case of small oscillations, so I will discard all terms which are second-order or higher in small quantities. Therefore I can lose the ##\dot\phi^2## term, the ##\dot r\dot\phi## term, and all powers of ɸ greater than 1 in the expansion of sin ɸ and cos ɸ.

This gives me the right answer...but I don't actually understand what I just said. How do I prove that ##\dot r## and ##\dot\phi## are, in fact, small quantities?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?