1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Small oscillations

1. Feb 16, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A particle of mass m and charge q can move along a vertical circle of radius R in the constant gravitational field of the earth. Another charge q is fixed to the lowest point of teh circle.
    Find the equilibrium position and the frequency of small oscillations of the particle.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm really lost and have no idea how to solve this problem. Any help would be great...

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2009 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF :smile:

You can start by listing the forces that act on the particle. What expressions/equations describe those forces?

4. Feb 22, 2009 #3
    Hi RedBelly,

Thanks for your reply. I would say the forces acting on the particle are the coulomb forces exerted on it by the other charge. the corresponding equation is

F = q1q2/r^2, but I'm not sure if this is the only force acting on it, because there must be another force that keeps it to move on the circular path.

I think I first have to fnd the potential energy so that I can find both the equilibrium position and the frequency of small oscillations, but I still don't know how to do that, especially as I have no idea how express the two conditions

1) that the particle be on a circular path and
    2) that there be another charge at the lowest point

by an equation.

Please help me! I really need to understand this because I will soon have an exam where this kind of questions will be asked.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook