Solve Small Oscillations in 1 Spring System

In summary: The eigenvalue/eigenvector problem is solved for the dynamical matrix D where V = 1/2 D_{ij} w_i w_j. The eigenvalues are found to be \omega_1 = 3m, \omega_2 = 8m, and the eigenvectors are found to be \vec{b} = (0, 0, 1). If a single mass is given a kick of velocity u, then the initial conditions are assumed to be zero displacement and zero velocity for both masses, and the transformation to the eigenbasis is found to be x_i (t) = \sum_{j} c_{i}^{(j)} \cos (
CNX
A horizontal arrangement with 1 spring in between the two masses, 1 spring connecting each mass to opposite fixed points:

k 3m k 8m k
|----[]----[]----|

I solved the eigenvalue/eigenvector problem for the dynamical matrix D where [tex]V = 1/2 D_{ij} w_i w_j[/tex] and the w's are mass-weighed-coords. So I have the frequencies for the normal modes.

[tex](D-I\omega)\cdot \vec{b} = 0 [/tex]

How do I get the particular solution for when a single mass is given a initial speed 'u'? Without getting the amplitude vectors for each normal mode I don't see how to get the particular solution as there are too many unknowns?

[tex]x_i (t) = \sum_{j} c_{i}^{(j)} \cos (\omega_j t + \delta_j)[/tex]

i.e 6 unknowns and and 4 IC's x1(0)=0, x2(0)=0, v1(0)=u, v2(0)=0

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would assume that the default initial condition is implied as zero displacement and zero velocity for both masses. So, if they tell you that one of the masses is given a kick of velocity u, then I would assume that the initial conditions are otherwise zero. Then, use your transformation to interpret this initial condition in terms of the eigenbasis.

I'm not sure how to go about doing that...

How is what I did different than solving [tex](V-\omega^2 T)\cdot \vec{a}=0[/tex] for eigenvalues [itex]\omega_1,\omega_2[/itex]? i.e. where T is constructed form the KE and V matrix is constructed from the PE, and is similar to my dynamical matrix D above.

I don't know what your notation means, exactly, but it looks OK. It would help if you would tell me what eigenfrequencies you got and what is your transformation matrix to the eigenbasis so that I can see if you're on the right track (and to double check that I didn't make a mistake either).

1. What is a small oscillation in a 1 spring system?

A small oscillation in a 1 spring system refers to the back-and-forth movement of a mass attached to a single spring, where the amplitude of the motion is relatively small. This type of motion is often described as harmonic motion or simple harmonic motion.

2. How do you solve small oscillations in a 1 spring system?

To solve small oscillations in a 1 spring system, you can use the equation of motion for simple harmonic motion, which is x(t) = A*cos(ωt + φ), where x is the displacement from equilibrium, A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase angle. You can then use initial conditions and the properties of the spring to determine the specific values for these variables.

3. What factors affect the frequency of small oscillations in a 1 spring system?

The frequency of small oscillations in a 1 spring system is affected by the mass of the object attached to the spring, the stiffness of the spring (measured by the spring constant), and the length of the spring. As the mass or stiffness increases, the frequency of the oscillations will also increase, while a longer spring will have a lower frequency.

4. Can small oscillations in a 1 spring system be damped?

Yes, small oscillations in a 1 spring system can be damped. This means that the amplitude of the oscillations will decrease over time due to external forces, such as friction or air resistance. Damping can affect the frequency and period of the oscillations, and can eventually cause them to stop completely.

5. What real-world applications use small oscillations in a 1 spring system?

Small oscillations in a 1 spring system have many real-world applications, such as in pendulum clocks, musical instruments, and shock absorbers. They are also used in seismology to model the motion of earthquakes and in engineering to design structures that can withstand vibrations.