Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Small oscillations

1. Oct 26, 2005 #1
    For small oscillations, the oscillation behaves like a spring, because the potential energy function can be approximated by a parabola at the equilibrium point. Now, the effective spring constant in these situations is equal to the second derivative of the potential energy function, and so the frequency w = sqrt(k/m), where k is the second derivative of the potential energy function.

I'm confused by this. In particular, I don't understand when this actually works. For example, for a pendulum, the potential energy function is U(t) = mgL(1-cos(t)), where t is theta. In this case the effective spring constant is mgL, so w = sqrt(gL). Obviously this doesn't agree with the accepted formula (which is also for small angles only). So what's going on here?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2005 #2
    Hmm, it occurs to me now that if insead of m, i use the moment of inertia I = ml^2, i get the right formula. Is this a coincidence???

4. Oct 26, 2005 #3
    Yes, if you write it as a function of x, horizontal displacement, rather than theta, it comes out all right.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook