1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Small problem

1. Jan 1, 2008 #1
    Hey i was wondering if someone could help me express this using standard binary operators.

[tex]f(x,y,z)=\frac{max(0, (x-y) )}{z}[/tex]

i.e. Eliminate the max() function and write it using proper math.

EDIT: max(a,b) simply chooses the largest value of the two variables.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 2, 2008 #2
    What you have there already is valid, but you can use this one if you like it better

Also, note that z cannot be 0 (the first line is just declaring the domain and codomain of f)

[tex]
    f: \mathbb{R} \times \mathbb{R} \times \mathbb{R} \backslash \{0\} \to \mathbb{R}[/tex]
    [tex]

f(x,y,z) = \left\{
    \begin{array} {l l}
    \displaystyle{\frac{x-y}{z}} & \text{if} \ x > y \\
    0 & \text{else}
    \right.
    [/tex]

4. Jan 2, 2008 #3
    hmm yeah, thats not exactly what i was looking for, apologies for lack of clarity.

Im looking for an algebraic expresion of that function, as a fraction or something similar, without the need to use if or else. If that is possible, maybe it isnt.

5. Jan 2, 2008 #4
    How about

[tex]\frac{|x-y|+(x-y)}{2z}[/tex]

6. Jan 2, 2008 #5
    ok, now i need to express that without the absolute function, or using polar or complex numbers. Could take me all week.....

7. Jan 2, 2008 #6
    For the absolute value you could use [tex]\sqrt {(x - y)^2}[/tex] (I smell a computer nearby), but it looks like on overshoot to me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook