Solving for Total Internal Reflection: Find Another Way!

In summary: Can you please give me other ways to figure this out? In summary, the equation should give me 1.48 as the answer but it doesn't.
Awsom Guy

Homework Statement

To find the total internal reflection.
This equation should give me 1.48 as the answer but it doesn't. Can you please give me other ways to figure this out. I really need this.

Homework Equations

n1sin1Ө=n2sin2Ө
n1 = 1
n2 =?
sin1Ө = 44 degrees
sin2Ө = 48 degrees

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Show us your work so far. Also the sine of an angle can't be equal to some degrees. Do you mean that [itex]\theta_1=44^\circ , \theta_2=48^\circ[/itex]?

What precisely do you want to find, n2?

What do you mean by "sin1Ө" and "sin2Ө"? Are they the sines of Ө and two times Ө, or the sines of two different angles (Ө1 and Ө2)? Also, the sine of an angle is not measured in degrees, so what are the last two lines? Did you mean that Ө is 44 and/or 48 degrees?

Cyosis said:
Show us your work so far. Also the sine of an angle can't be equal to some degrees. Do you mean that [itex]\theta_1=44^\circ , \theta_2=48^\circ[/itex]?

yes i do mean that.

CompuChip said:
What precisely do you want to find, n2?

What do you mean by "sin1Ө" and "sin2Ө"? Are they the sines of Ө and two times Ө, or the sines of two different angles (Ө1 and Ө2)? Also, the sine of an angle is not measured in degrees, so what are the last two lines? Did you mean that Ө is 44 and/or 48 degrees?

Yes that is exactly it.

We arranged the semi circular slab so that a single light ray strikes the curved side and passes through to the other side. We then turned the semi circular slab and turned until there was no refraction. That is when we found out when total internal reflection happened.
Now I don't know how to get the results for this. That is my problem. The above eqaution was meant to be used, but it might not be the answer.

1. What is total internal reflection and why is it important?

Total internal reflection is a phenomenon that occurs when a light ray traveling through a medium, such as air, reaches the boundary of a denser medium, like water or glass, at a certain angle. Instead of passing through the boundary, the light ray is completely reflected back into the denser medium. This is important because it allows for the transmission of light through optical fibers and plays a crucial role in various technologies such as fiber optics and prisms.

2. How do you calculate the critical angle for total internal reflection?

The critical angle for total internal reflection can be calculated using the formula: θcritical = sin-1(n2/n1), where n1 is the refractive index of the initial medium and n2 is the refractive index of the denser medium.

3. Can total internal reflection occur in all mediums?

No, total internal reflection can only occur when light travels from a medium with a higher refractive index to a medium with a lower refractive index. This is why it is commonly observed in materials like glass and water, but not in air.

4. What are some practical applications of total internal reflection?

Total internal reflection has several practical applications, including in fiber optic communications, where light is transmitted through thin glass fibers for long-distance communication. It is also used in prisms for splitting and reflecting light in various optical devices, such as cameras and binoculars.

5. Is there another way to achieve total internal reflection besides using a denser medium?

Yes, total internal reflection can also be achieved by using a medium with a varying refractive index, such as a graded-index fiber. In this case, the varying refractive index causes the light ray to bend and eventually reach the critical angle, resulting in total internal reflection.