1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Small problem

1. Jun 9, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    To find the total internal reflection.
    This equation should give me 1.48 as the answer but it doesn't. Can you please give me other ways to figure this out. I really need this.

2. Relevant equations
    n1sin1Ө=n2sin2Ө
    n1 = 1
    n2 =?
    sin1Ө = 44 degrees
    sin2Ө = 48 degrees

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2009 #2

Cyosis

Homework Helper

Show us your work so far. Also the sine of an angle can't be equal to some degrees. Do you mean that [itex]\theta_1=44^\circ , \theta_2=48^\circ[/itex]?

4. Jun 9, 2009 #3

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What precisely do you want to find, n2?

What do you mean by "sin1Ө" and "sin2Ө"? Are they the sines of Ө and two times Ө, or the sines of two different angles (Ө1 and Ө2)? Also, the sine of an angle is not measured in degrees, so what are the last two lines? Did you mean that Ө is 44 and/or 48 degrees?

5. Jun 9, 2009 #4
    yes i do mean that.

6. Jun 9, 2009 #5
    Yes that is exactly it.

7. Jun 9, 2009 #6
    We arranged the semi circular slab so that a single light ray strikes the curved side and passes through to the other side. We then turned the semi circular slab and turned until there was no refraction. That is when we found out when total internal reflection happened.
    Now I don't know how to get the results for this. That is my problem. The above eqaution was meant to be used, but it might not be the answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook