1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Small Question on What Points the Equation has Solutions for y in terms of x,z.

1. Apr 7, 2010 #1
    Hi this is the question, I already finished it basically, there is just one small thing I am unsure about

zvf046.jpg

So I let that equation be F, and I found Fy, it is Zeyz-x2z/y...so I know this equation can't equal zero if I want there to be a solution for y in terms of x and z, my question is what I do about the x2z/y term....is y allowed to equal 0? If that is the case then the equation can equal negative infinity, I'm not sure if this is legal or not, when I think about a system of equations and it's relation to the determinant, it doesn't really make sense for it to be equal to infinity....but if this is legal, I'm assuming x2z/y can't equal 0/0 because then it is in indeterminate form...

So can y=0?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?