Solve sin(x-y) for x and y in [0,pi/2] and [pi/2,pi]"

• Thread starter Gamma
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about solving the function sin(x-y) with given values for x and y, which the participants find to be unclear and possibly meaningless. They suggest using the formula sin(x-y) = sinx*cosy - cosx*siny and substituting the given values to solve the problem.
Gamma
Solve sin(x-y) when x= [0, pi/2], y=[pi/2, pi].

I am just not familier with the notations.

Does the above mean that I need to find the value of sin (x-y), for (x,y)= (0, pi/2) and (pi/2, pi)?

Why would they write x and y like this??
Thanks.

Gamma

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't the slightest idea of what they have meant. The notation, if not meaningless, is at the very least obscure and non-standard.

What, exactly, is the wording of the problem? You can solve an equation or, more generally, a "problem" but you can't "solve" a function.
"Solve sin(x-y)" makes no sense. Does the problem ask you, possibly to solve "sin(x-y)= 0" or to find maximum and minimum values for the function?

Thanks guys for the replies.

This is exactly the wording of the problem.

I do felt the same way as you felt. Meaningless question. Only way I would do this is to write sin(x-y)= sinx cosy - cosx siny and substitue values.

Thanks,

Gamma.

What is a "small question"?

A "small question" is a question that is concise, specific, and often focuses on a particular detail or aspect of a larger topic. It is usually a simple and straightforward question that can be answered with a short response.

Why are small questions important in scientific research?

Small questions are important in scientific research because they allow scientists to break down complex problems into smaller, more manageable pieces. They also help scientists to identify specific aspects of a topic that need further investigation and can lead to more detailed and precise answers.

How do scientists come up with small questions?

Scientists come up with small questions by first identifying a larger topic or problem that they want to study. They then break down this topic into smaller, more specific questions that they can answer through their research. These small questions are often informed by previous studies, observations, or theories related to the larger topic.

Are small questions less important than big questions in scientific research?

No, small questions are just as important as big questions in scientific research. While big questions may address broader and more complex issues, small questions help to provide specific and detailed insights that contribute to a better understanding of the larger topic. In fact, many major scientific breakthroughs have been the result of answering small questions.

Can small questions lead to new discoveries?

Yes, small questions can lead to new discoveries in scientific research. By breaking down a larger topic into smaller questions, scientists are able to explore specific aspects in more detail, which can lead to new insights and discoveries. Small questions also help to guide the direction of research and can open up new areas of study.