1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Small question

1. Nov 2, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A particle, starting from point A in the drawing, is projected down the curved runway. Upon leaving the runway at point B, the particle is traveling straight upward and reaches a height of 4.00 m above the floor before falling back down. Ignoring friction and air resistance, find the speed of the particle at point A.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    My question for this question is that I know I have to use an equation that utilizes both kinetic and potential energy since both kinetic and potential energy values are present (or at least things that you would need to find values). I know that I am trying to find the initial velocity but what is the final velocity? Is it zero because the particle reaches a maximum height and then falls back down?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

Hi Inertialforce

That's right; the velocity at the point 4m above the floor is zero; if it wasn't zero, that point would not be the maximum height because it would still be moving upwards.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?