Small scale Bluetooth module

Hi guys. Im new here. Is there a bluetooth module which you can configure the range of the the module? For example from a 5 meter range to about 1 ft or less... Currently planning on using BTSerial1 Bluetooth module. Any idea of a less expensive and better bluetooth module?

Im new to this stuff so please bear with me.

Answers and Replies

Mech_Engineer
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I think what you're looking to do is create a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Near_Field_Communication" [Broken] device using bluetooth. Some ways to do this I would think:

• Limit the transmit power of the device to some very small value useful only for a couple of inches (not sure if this is possible without having a standard receiver sensitivity).
  • Incorporate some sort of distance sensor in addition to the bluetooth tranceiver which prevents pairing beyong some pre-set distance (would work)
  • Incorporate a highly focused antenna to only allow signal reception in a small target volume (not sure if this is possible, I'm not an RF antenna engineer).

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you sir.

I tried researching Near Field Communication device and I got confused with the terms. Is there any NFC device that you know of? Is it a device that would be attached to the bluetooth or is it something external?

Mech_Engineer
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Just click on the wikipedia link! Near-Field Communication is a new technology, I don't think many (if any) devices have it incorporated yet, but it's basically just RFID.

Is that available in the market? How much does it usually cost?