Small school or Large school?

Hi all, I've applied to some unis in the States and heard back from them. Now I have problem deciding between two completely opposite schools. At the time I applied, I don't really know what I wanted to do, though I chose engineering. I'm still undecided now.

I got accepted to Macalester, which is the only liberal arts college to accept me, I was rejected and wait listed by all else. They gave me a nice financial aid package of $ 179530 for 4 years. U Minnesota also accepted me with scholarship covering the difference between out of state and in state cost.

So now, I don't know which school to choose. Of course, if I'm firm on engineering, I should stick with U Minnesota, but I'm not very sure. Anyway, back where I'm from, I could still work as an engineer with a physics degree. And, seeing that I was rejected by all the other liberal arts colleges I applied to, it would seem a waste of opportunity if I decline Macalester.

U Minnesota would have more name recognition, but Macalester would give smaller class sizes. So which school should I choose?

Answers and Replies

Dr. Courtney
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Go with your heart, because you'll work harder.

Working harder is more important than the choice.

Go with your heart, because you'll work harder.

Working harder is more important than the choice.
Thanks for your advice!

jtbell
Mentor
A point that people bring up against small liberal-arts colleges is that they probably have a smaller range of research opportunities than big universities do. Macalester might be an exception to this, because it's in the same city as the U of Minnesota, so you would probably have some access to opportunities there. I suggest checking their web site and maybe asking them specifically about this.

A point that people bring up against small liberal-arts colleges is that they probably have a smaller range of research opportunities than big universities do. Macalester might be an exception to this, because it's in the same city as the U of Minnesota, so you would probably have some access to opportunities there. I suggest checking their web site and maybe asking them specifically about this.
Ok, will do it. Thanks for your suggestion!:smile: