Small-signal input and output resistances of the circuit

In summary, the given circuit has VA = 110V, β = 115, T = 300k and quiescent base current of 12.0 microA. Using R1 = 12 kOhms, R2 = 6 kOhms, and Rc = 2 kOhms, Ic = 1.38 mA, IE = 1.392 mA, and IB = .012 mA, the small-signal input and output resistances can be determined by changing the circuit to a small-signal model and finding the input current and dividing it by Vi. However, this design is not ideal as it is heavily dependent on beta and the computed Vcc is only about 0.84V
stevo2393
1. With the circuit provided determine the small-signal input and output resistances of the circuit.
2. I was either given or found all the following info for the circuit:

VA = 110V

β = 115

T = 300k

quiescent base current is 12.0 microA

R1 = 12 kOhms, R2 = 6 kOhms and Rc = 2 kOhms

Ic = 1.38 mA, IE = 1.392 mA and IB = .012 mA
3. Now I am stuck on how to find the small signal info. This is what I am thinking though:

Would I change it to a small signal circuit to find the info? Then find input current and divide it by Vi?

Am I going down the right path?

Attachments

• kmj2e.png
    kmj2e.png
    2.4 KB · Views: 505
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
stevo2393 said:
1. Would I change it to a small signal circuit to find the info? Then find input current and divide it by Vi?

That would be one way to do it.

You realize this is a terrible design since it's overwhelmingly dependent on beta. For example, Rf is not a feedbak resistor. It should have gone from the collector to the base. Also, the computed Vcc is only about 0.84V to get ib = 12uA. I have no idea what you meant by VA = 110V.

I have computed the approximate input & output impedances but you probably don't want those. I'll keep tabs on the thread to see what others come up with & possibly offer comments.

stevo2393 said:
Would I change it to a small signal circuit to find the info? Then find input current and divide it by Vi?

Am I going down the right path?
After determining Zin of the transistor model, you have R2 in series with it. Then R1 in parallel.

(Ditto for query on VA?)

I would have expected R1 to be some MΩ, and rude man is right to be suspicious about the figures you provide.

Last edited:

1. What are small-signal input and output resistances?

Small-signal input and output resistances refer to the resistance values of a circuit's input and output terminals when the input signal is small. These values are used to analyze the behavior and performance of a circuit in response to small changes in the input signal.

2. How are small-signal input and output resistances calculated?

Small-signal input resistance is calculated by dividing the change in input voltage by the change in input current, while the small-signal output resistance is calculated by dividing the change in output voltage by the change in output current. These calculations are done using the small-signal model of the circuit.

3. Why are small-signal input and output resistances important?

Small-signal input and output resistances are important because they provide valuable information about the performance of a circuit, such as voltage gain and input/output impedance. They also help in designing and optimizing circuits for specific applications.

4. How do small-signal input and output resistances affect circuit performance?

The small-signal input resistance affects the amount of input signal that is required to produce a desired output, while the small-signal output resistance affects the stability and linearity of the output signal. In general, lower input and output resistances result in better circuit performance.

5. Can small-signal input and output resistances be measured experimentally?

Yes, small-signal input and output resistances can be measured experimentally using a multimeter or other measuring devices. However, the values obtained may not be as accurate as those calculated using the small-signal model, as they are affected by factors such as temperature, noise, and parasitic elements in the circuit.