Small supersonic diffuser design

In summary, Fred wants to design a small supersonic diffuser to be used in a pneumatic valve. Can anyone provide some help?
space_1
I want to design a very small supersonic diffuser to be used in a pneumatic valve. Can anyone provide some help?

thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
and you posted the same topic twice... why? there was nothing wrong with your last post if you thought there was some kind of problem. just give it a day and you'll get some good posts

sorry dude this is not my field so i can't help you design anything. i say ignore detail until later and just stop and consider every possibility

Last edited:
What exactly are you wanting help with? Can you define the basic design parameters you require? What is the end application?

well fred,
i want to design a diffuser with inlet dia of about 4 to 5 mm and incoming air pressure of about 100 bar. The purpose is to lower the pressure of the vent port in a pneumatic valve. I want to know how to design the interior surface of the diffuser.
thanks.

There are a couple of things that are confusing me about your last statement. I'm probably just misunderstanding what you are trying to achieve.

Are you wanting to vent to sub-atmospheric pressures? What is your vent currently venting to?

The purpose of a diffuser is to increase pressure by trading off velocity pressure for static presssure. What is your expected configuration in the valve to have the diffuser do what you stated it is needed for? Are you thinking along the lines of an ejector perhaps?

what are you asking for the area the material I really don't understand

Most design concepts start with defining the existing condition vs the desired condition. Numbers are very helpful in this regard.

Dr. Japikse has a book called Diffuser Design Technology. You can try to take a look first.

http://www.conceptseti.com/education/pub_books.htm#two

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a small supersonic diffuser and what is its purpose?

A small supersonic diffuser is a device used in engineering and aerodynamics to slow down and compress high-speed, supersonic airflow. It is typically used to control and manipulate the flow of air in a specific area, such as in an aircraft engine or a wind tunnel. The purpose of a small supersonic diffuser is to increase the pressure and decrease the velocity of the airflow, which can help improve the efficiency and performance of various machines and processes.

2. How does a small supersonic diffuser work?

A small supersonic diffuser works by expanding the supersonic airflow, using a series of diverging walls or nozzles, to decrease its speed and increase its pressure. This is achieved through a process known as the diffuser effect, which creates a shockwave in the air and redirects the flow in a controlled manner. The shape and design of the diffuser, as well as the properties of the airflow, play a crucial role in its functionality.

3. What are some key factors to consider when designing a small supersonic diffuser?

When designing a small supersonic diffuser, several factors must be taken into account. These include the design and geometry of the diffuser, the type and properties of the airflow, the desired level of compression and pressure, and the intended application of the diffuser. Other important considerations may include the materials used, the cost and feasibility of the design, and any potential limitations or challenges that may arise during the design process.

4. What are some common applications of small supersonic diffusers?

Small supersonic diffusers have a wide range of applications in various industries and fields. Some common uses include in aircraft engines, where they help to compress and slow down the high-speed air entering the engine, and in wind tunnels, where they are used to manipulate and control the airflow for testing and research purposes. Other applications may include in rocket engines, gas turbines, and other high-speed flow systems that require precise control and compression of the airflow.

5. What are some challenges in designing a small supersonic diffuser?

Designing a small supersonic diffuser can be a complex and challenging process, as it requires a thorough understanding of aerodynamics, fluid mechanics, and other related fields. Some key challenges may include finding the optimal design and geometry for a specific application, ensuring that the diffuser can handle high-speed and high-temperature airflow, and addressing any potential issues with shockwaves or turbulence. Additionally, the manufacturing and testing of the diffuser can also present challenges, as it may require specialized equipment and techniques.