Small temperature dependence in diamagnetic material

In summary, the sample's diamagnetism and temperature dependence may be due to the presence of paramagnetic impurities, which can also cause the superconducting transition at low temperatures.
jormi
Hi everybody!
I´m chemist doing new materials and my understanding of physics is quite basic.
I have a sample (single phase) of Ba and Ge and it shows diamagnetism in the magnetic susceptibility measurement, however it show a small temperature dependent behavior. As far as I understand, diamagnetic materials should be nearly T independent so I don´t understand well what is going on here. According to heat capacity, there is no such effect in that temperature range, so I can discard a phase transition.
Any suggestion?

The measurement is at high magnetic field. At low magnetic field or in absent of it, the sample becomes superconductor at 7 K.
The increase at low T is due to paramagnetic impurities. In the range 100 - 200 K it increases by a factor of two and then saturates and remains constant, as should be.

PS I´m not allowed to post original data so I made a figure by hand..
figure.png

Physics news on Phys.org
It is possible that the temperature dependent diamagnetism is due to paramagnetic impurities in your sample. The temperature dependence of the susceptibility can be caused by a temperature dependent Curie-Weiss law, which describes the behavior of paramagnetic materials. At high temperatures, the susceptibility of a paramagnetic material can be approximated as:χ = C/(T - θ)where C is the Curie constant and θ is the Weiss temperature. As the temperature approaches θ, the susceptibility diverges. This could explain the temperature dependent behavior of your sample. It is possible that the paramagnetic impurities in your sample are also responsible for the superconducting transition at 7 K.

1. What is meant by "small temperature dependence" in diamagnetic material?

"Small temperature dependence" refers to the minimal change in a diamagnetic material's magnetic properties as the temperature is varied. Diamagnetic materials have a very weak response to magnetic fields and this response does not significantly change with temperature.

2. How does temperature affect the magnetic properties of diamagnetic materials?

Unlike ferromagnetic or paramagnetic materials, temperature does not have a significant impact on the magnetic properties of diamagnetic materials. The magnetic susceptibility of diamagnetic materials decreases slightly with increasing temperature, but this change is very small and often negligible.

3. Why do diamagnetic materials have such a small temperature dependence?

Diamagnetic materials have a small temperature dependence due to their electronic structure. In diamagnetic materials, all of the electrons are paired, meaning they have opposite spin directions. This results in a canceling out of magnetic moments, making the material overall non-magnetic and less susceptible to changes in temperature.

4. Are there any factors that can increase the temperature dependence in diamagnetic materials?

There are a few factors that can increase the temperature dependence in diamagnetic materials, such as impurities or defects in the material's structure. These can disrupt the canceling out of magnetic moments and result in a slightly larger temperature dependence. However, even with these factors, the temperature dependence in diamagnetic materials is still very small.

5. How is the small temperature dependence in diamagnetic materials useful in scientific research?

The small temperature dependence in diamagnetic materials can be useful in research as it allows for more precise measurements of other magnetic properties. By using diamagnetic materials as a reference, scientists can more accurately measure the temperature dependence of other magnetic materials. Diamagnetic materials are also used in various applications, such as levitation and magnetic shielding, where their minimal temperature dependence is beneficial.