Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Small temperature dependence in diamagnetic material

1. Jun 28, 2016 #1
    Hi everybody!
    I´m chemist doing new materials and my understanding of physics is quite basic.
    I have a sample (single phase) of Ba and Ge and it shows diamagnetism in the magnetic susceptibility measurement, however it show a small temperature dependent behavior. As far as I understand, diamagnetic materials should be nearly T independent so I don´t understand well what is going on here. According to heat capacity, there is no such effect in that temperature range, so I can discard a phase transition.
    Any suggestion?

The measurement is at high magnetic field. At low magnetic field or in absent of it, the sample becomes superconductor at 7 K.
    The increase at low T is due to paramagnetic impurities. In the range 100 - 200 K it increases by a factor of two and then saturates and remains constant, as should be.

PS I´m not allowed to post original data so I made a figure by hand..
    figure.png

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2016 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted