Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Small town outlaws flags

1. Nov 16, 2006 #1
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061115/ap_on_re_us/english_only

Totally unenforcable, of course - it obviously contradicts the Bill of Rights. Yet certain public officals have apparently never read that document - to think they call themselves Americans. *scoffs*

Someone please do something about Tom Jefferson over there - he's making quite a ruckus in his grave.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2006 #2
    "Foreign" flags? What? You mean there are other countries?:confused:

This is the sort of thing that angers me so much about these sorts of people. They have so much national pride...but what exactly is there to be proud of in America if not our freedom? (read that as sarcastic, or not, or both) America was built on the idea of freedom for everyone (er...except slaves, women, American Indians, Mexicans, Arabs, and non-Christians in general...but let's overlook that for the moment)...which is what makes it "special," presumably. So...how exactly does taking away immigrant's rights, and forcing people to fly the American flag above all others and speak English celebrate this?

4. Nov 16, 2006 #3
    Now that is a white elephant one cannot ignore :biggrin:

5. Nov 16, 2006 #4
    Darn right, we want to restrict their speech! (Nothin' wrong with that, is there?)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061116/us_nm/usa_immigration_flags_dc

6. Nov 16, 2006 #5
    In flag etiquette, the American flag should, at the very least, be at a position of equal prominence as another flag. These flag laws are correct in terms of proper etiquette, but the fact that traditions are being turned into law may be the real issue.

7. Nov 16, 2006 #6

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I think you misunderstood: the tradition is that when flown with other flags the American flag must be higher. This law says that foreign flags can only be flown in the presence of (and subbordinate to) American flags.

It is unConstitutional at face value and won't stand a chance when challenged.

8. Nov 17, 2006 #7
    I'd bet a good amount of $, that if you drove through this town, you'd see violations of proper flag etiquette all over the place.

9. Nov 17, 2006 #8
    Actually Russ... A church pennant can be flown above the Flag in the USA, when on 1 pole. Also it is not necessary to have the USA Flag higher or bigger than other flags that are flown on separate poles. But it should be in the middle.
    http://www.usflag.org/flagetiquette.html

In the UK there are different rules

10. Nov 17, 2006 #9

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I wonder if he speaks Cherokee?

11. Nov 17, 2006 #10
    HAAAAH NICE! :cool:

12. Nov 17, 2006 #11

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Pahrump? That's Art Bell's town. Used to be, anyways. I thought they had an entirely different "illegal alien" problem there.

*imagines little grey guys with leaf blowers*

Last edited: Nov 17, 2006
  13. Nov 17, 2006 #12

verty

Homework Helper

They should ban all flags, problem solved.

14. Nov 17, 2006 #13

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I forgot about the church penant, but it really isn't relevant here. By "other flags" I was really only talking about political flags.
    Reread that part of your link... :wink:

15. Nov 19, 2006 #14
    flag ordinance

Americans keep bemoaning illegal immigrants; and we keep hiring them.

Control of immigration is every sovereign nation's right, but the fact that whole sectors
    of the economy depend on illegals makes our indignation against these people rather
    peculiar.

I doubt that most proponants of "English-only" rules are conspiring to keep our supply of cheap labor uninformed about their rights. That doesn't mean that the institution of such rules would not hinder literate monolingual Spanish speakers from learning about the rights that even illegal immigrants have under American law.

With regard to the rules about the flag: Civics classes had vanished from the schools by the time I was old enough to take them. Maybe they shouldn't have.

Lren

16. Nov 21, 2006 #15
    I did, :)

I suppose it doesnt stipulate that the American Flag must be in the middle. In the UK, because we are a amalgamation of 2 kingdoms, 1 principality and a Provence, we have slightly different rules.... The middle bit I got from there :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?