Small unitary operator proof?

In summary, a small unitary operator is a mathematical concept in quantum mechanics that represents a transformation on a smaller subspace while preserving the inner product. It differs from a regular unitary operator in that it only acts on a smaller subspace. Small unitary operators are significant in quantum mechanics for their ability to accurately represent physical transformations on a smaller scale. The proof of a small unitary operator can be verified by checking its properties and applying it to known vectors. In other fields, small unitary operators have applications in signal processing, data compression, error correction, machine learning, and quantum computing algorithms.
jeebs
the problem I am trying to solve is that, if we have say, [tex] |\Psi(t)\rangle = U(t,t_0)|\Psi(t_0)\rangle [/tex], then I need to prove that U is a unitary operator. I don't have a lot of confidence in what I've answered.

I know that a unitary operator is defined [tex] U^+ = U^-^1[/tex] (adjoint = inverse) so I need to somehow show this is happening.
I've said that U(t,t0) takes your system from its state at time t0 to time t, so that U(t,t) does nothing to your state and so it must be equal to the identity.
likewise, the adjoint U+(t,t) must do nothing and therefore be just the identity matrix too, as should U-1, so that would mean the condition for a unitary operator is satisfied.

however, this seems very sketchy to me, I'm not convinced. have I done what's been asked here?

Actually I've just came up with another attempt, maybe this is better:

[tex] |\Psi(t)\rangle = U(t,t_0)|\Psi(t_0)\rangle [/tex] and [tex] \langle\Psi(t)| = \langle \Psi(t_0)|U^+ [/tex]

and [tex] \langle\Psi(t)|\Psi(t)\rangle = 1 [/tex] and [tex] \langle\Psi(t_0)|\Psi(t_0)\rangle = 1 [/tex]

also [tex] \langle\Psi(t_0)|U^+U|\Psi(t)\rangle = \langle\Psi(t_0)|\Psi(t_0)\rangle[/tex]

therefore and [tex] U^+U = I [/tex]

is this valid?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and attempts in solving this problem. It seems like you have a good understanding of the concept of a unitary operator and have made some progress in your attempt to prove that U is a unitary operator.

Your first approach of showing that U(t,t) does nothing to your state and therefore must be equal to the identity is a good start. However, you are correct in feeling that it may be a bit sketchy. This is because you are assuming that U(t,t) is equal to the identity without any justification. Instead, you could try to use the definition of a unitary operator, which is U^+U=UU^+=I, and try to show that this is satisfied for U(t,t).

Your second approach is also valid. You have correctly used the definition of a unitary operator and have shown that U^+U=I. This is a more rigorous approach and shows that U is indeed a unitary operator.

In conclusion, your second approach is more valid and convincing. Keep up the good work!

1. What is a small unitary operator?

A small unitary operator is a mathematical concept used in quantum mechanics to represent a transformation that preserves the inner product of a vector space. It is a unitary operator that acts on a small subspace of a larger vector space.

2. How is a small unitary operator different from a regular unitary operator?

A regular unitary operator acts on the entire vector space, whereas a small unitary operator only acts on a smaller subspace. This means that the small unitary operator is a restriction of a regular unitary operator.

3. What is the significance of small unitary operators in quantum mechanics?

Small unitary operators are important in quantum mechanics because they are used to represent physical transformations on a smaller scale, such as the spin of a particle. They allow for more precise calculations and predictions in quantum systems.

4. How can the proof of a small unitary operator be verified?

The proof of a small unitary operator can be verified by checking that it satisfies the properties of a unitary operator, which include preserving the inner product and being invertible. It can also be verified by applying the operator to a known vector and checking that the resulting vector is indeed transformed as expected.

5. What are some applications of small unitary operators in other fields?

Small unitary operators have applications in various fields, such as signal processing, data compression, and error correction. They are also used in machine learning and quantum computing algorithms for efficient data representation and manipulation.