What is the smallest thing we can see with an electron microscope?

• Thread starter WarrickF
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electron
In summary, the group discussed the capabilities of different types of microscopes, specifically the electron microscope and its use of electrons to see objects larger than electrons themselves. They also mentioned the possibility of using a proton-based microscope to see even smaller particles, such as electrons, and the challenges of accurately measuring and visualizing particles on a quantum scale. Additionally, they briefly touched on the method of smashing atoms together to determine the mass of subatomic particles.
WarrickF
Hi All,

To the best of my knowledge the electron microscope is the smalled visual mesurment tool available. So it's my understanding that the smallest "thing" we've been able to "see" is another electron. I've probably make some very bad scientific statement but I'm trying to find which of all these quarks, fermions etc. are really measurable and which are simply thought to exist based on experiment.

Thanks
Warrick

Physics news on Phys.org
Nope,a protonic and an ionic microscope have greater resolution than an electronic one...

As for "seing" particles,well,nope,never ever and simply doubt it will possible...

Daniel.

Oh wow, I didn't know there was such a thing. So I'm guessing these work on the same principal? You have a proton gun firing against some tightly packed latice and you measure the bounce back (I have no idea what you'd call this ;) )?

I've always wondered how these guns work? How does an electron gun or a proton gun superate one electron and "fire" it?

dextercioby said:
Nope,a protonic and an ionic microscope have greater resolution than an electronic one...

As for "seing" particles,well,nope,never ever and simply doubt it will possible...

Daniel.

Is the resolution of those even better than AFMs?

warrick: I suppose the principle should be pretty much the same.

BTW, an electron microscope doesn't see electrons. It uses electrons to see things larger than electrons. To see anything, your "seeing" mechanism has to be smaller than your "seen" object.

DaveC426913 said:
BTW, an electron microscope doesn't see electrons. It uses electrons to see things larger than electrons. To see anything, your "seeing" mechanism has to be smaller than your "seen" object.

True - so if there is such a thing as an proton based microscope is it possible to see an electron using it? I'm making the assumption that electrons are larger than protons which I have a feeling is incorrect.

I know the scale of an electron the the nucleus is about 1:2000 but I'm not sure what size a proton is.

A proton is 1836 times the mass of an electron.

In a hydrogen nucleus, there's only one proton. A uranium nucleus might be about (1836x238) times as large as an electron.

This is why they use electrons in microscopes. They're the lightest/smallest subatomic particle = best resolution.

So does that mean that there really is an image somewhere that represents the shape of a proton? Just wondering if there is something out there that allows you to physically see the shape.

How on Earth did anyone ever get to that figure 1836 x the mass of an electron? I can't begin to imagine the experiment that determined this.

hey- what about using a hadronic collider to create artificial quantum-scale black holes and bombard an object with them- then anaylize the hawking radiation as the the little fellows go poof- couldn't you perhaps get some kind of data to reconstruct a detailed image/timeslice of the femto/atto/zepto/yocto scale? :bugeye: :cool: :tongue:

Last edited:
What's a hadronic collider ?

WarrickF said:
So does that mean that there really is an image somewhere that represents the shape of a proton? Just wondering if there is something out there that allows you to physically see the shape.
Yep. There's pictures, but I can't find any right now.
WarrickF said:
How on Earth did anyone ever get to that figure 1836 x the mass of an electron? I can't begin to imagine the experiment that determined this.
You smash atoms together and let the debris pass through a strong magnetic field. Because the pieces are charged, their paths bend. The degree of bending tells us how heavy they are.

See Wikipedia's bubble chamber entry.

1. What is smaller than an electron?

There are currently no known particles that are smaller than an electron. However, scientists are still researching and exploring the possibility of subatomic particles that may be smaller than an electron.

2. Can anything be smaller than an electron?

As of now, there is no evidence to suggest that anything can be smaller than an electron. However, the field of quantum mechanics is constantly evolving and new discoveries may reveal particles that are smaller than an electron.

3. How do scientists study particles smaller than an electron?

Scientists use advanced technologies such as particle accelerators and detectors to study particles smaller than an electron. These technologies allow them to observe and measure the behavior and properties of these particles.

4. Are there any practical applications for particles smaller than an electron?

The study of particles smaller than an electron has led to many technological advancements, particularly in the field of electronics. Understanding these particles can also provide insights into the fundamental laws of the universe.

5. How do particles smaller than an electron affect our daily lives?

While we may not directly interact with particles smaller than an electron, their existence and behavior play a crucial role in the functioning of everyday devices such as computers and smartphones. Furthermore, our understanding of these particles has led to advancements in various industries such as medicine and energy production.