Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Smaller than photon

1. Jun 15, 2004 #1
    Is it concievable that that their could be a wave/particle smaller than a photon and travelling faster than a photon giving us FTL communication possibilities ?
    If my question seems stupid please understand I am a clown !

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2004 #2
    Snot possible.

--

Everybody loves a clown, so why don't you? -- Gary Lewis and the Playboys

4. Jun 15, 2004 #3
    Well, it is mathematically possible that there could exist tachyons - particles with imaginary rest mass that always travel at speeds greater than c, but none have ever been detected and few physicists take the possibility seriously.

5. Jun 15, 2004 #4
    The fact that they travel backwards in time is the real clincher.

6. Jun 15, 2004 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

But why the "smaller than a photon"? Are you interested in size or speed?

(Surely you don't think that speed depends on size!)

7. Jun 15, 2004 #6
    well i say smaller because after all its easier to find a baseball in a pile of haystacks than a breadcrumb

8. Jun 15, 2004 #7
    Not if you're a mouse.

9. Jun 15, 2004 #8
    ...or a female breadcrumb...

how big is a photon anyway? does it have something to do with the Planck length?

10. Jun 17, 2004 #9
    I frankly never understood the consept of light. How can it have a size and no mass?

11. Jun 17, 2004 #10
    Is this mathematics in conflict with SR?

12. Jun 17, 2004 #11

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, it is precisely because of SR that any particles that travel faster than light must have imaginary rest mass. Of course no one has ever identified such particles and it is not at all clear what "imaginary mass" would mean physically.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?