1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Smallest Angular Separation

1. Nov 12, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For an eye in which the pupil has a radius of 3.0 mm, what is the smallest angular separation that can be resolved when two violet (λ = 400 nm) objects are placed side by side?

2. Relevant equations
    theta_r = sin(theta_r) = 1.22(wavelength/d)

3. The attempt at a solution
    theta_r = 1.22(400*(.000000001)) / (6*.001) = .0000813

This is incorrect. Where have I gone wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Who says it's not correct ? I get what you get using that formula.

When I Google angular resolution and look at the picture , then violet at 6 mm aperture shows something that looks around 15 arcsec, and sure enough 8.13 x 10-5 * 180/##\pi## = 17/3600 .

My eyes sure don't dissolve two spots on a 10 m far wall that are 0.8 mm apart, but perhaps that isn't the idea anyway...

[edit] another contribution: Hyperphysics mentions 2 x 10-4 radians for "Most acute vision, optimum circumstances" -- within a factor 2 of the physical limits imposed by diffraction.

The only thing I can think of that would spoil the fun is that blue and violet are difficult colours for human eyes, but I don't have anything quantitative on that.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted