1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Smallest Argument

1. Jan 30, 2004 #1
    What is the argument of the complex number z which has the smallest argument in |z+8i|=4?

I solved the problem correctly but my answer is rather long
    |z-(-8i)|=4 (drawing)
    z_0=a+bi, z_1=-a+bi
    |a+bi+8i|=4
    sqrt(a^2+(b+8)^2)=4 (radius)
    a^2+b^2+16b+64=16 (eq 1)
    And from 4-8-sqrt(48) triangle
    sqrt(a^2+b^2)=sqrt(48)
    a^2+b^2=48 (eq 2)
    Place into eq 1
    48+16b+64=16
    16b=-96
    b=-6
    Placing into eq 2
    a^2+36=48
    a^2=12
    a=+-sqrt(12)
    z_0=sqrt(12)-6i
    z_1=-sqrt(12)-6i
    From the drawing, the smallest argument is at the third zone.
    tan theta=-6/-sqrt(12)
    =sqrt(3)
    so theta=240 degrees.

There must be a shorter solution, can you please help me?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2004 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Saying that |z+8i|= 4 is the same as saying (geometrically, in the complex plane) that the distance from z to -8i is 4. That is all z satisfying that are on a circle with center at -8i and radius 4.

The argument of a complex number is the angle the line from 0 to the number makes with the real axis. In this case it is geometrically clear that that will happen when the line from 0 to the circle is tangent to the circle (in the first quadrant). That tangent line, the line from 0 to -8i and the line from -8i to the point on the circle make a right triangle with hypotenuse of length 8 and one leg of length 4. (edited: I just realized that the problem only asks for the argument, not for the actual number itself.)

The angle from the (negative) imaginary axis is given by sin(φ)= 4/8= 1/2 and so φ= 30 degrees. The argument is 270- 30= 240 degrees just as you got.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2004
  4. Jan 31, 2004 #3
    Knew these.
    BLAAAAH!!! 4*2=8 I shoulda seen that!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?