1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Smallest Norm in a Hilbert Space

1. Apr 25, 2005 #1
    I have this problem which I want to do before I go back to uni. The context was not covered in class before the break, but I want to get my head around the problem before we resume classes. So any help on this is greatly appreciated.

Question

Suppose [itex]C[/itex] is a nonempty closed convex set in a Hilbert Space [itex]H[/itex].

(i) Prove that there exists a unique point [itex]c_0 \in C[/itex] of smallest norm, and that we then have [itex]\Re \langle c_0 \, | \, c-c_0\rangle \geq 0[/itex] for all [itex]c \in C[/itex].

(ii) For any point [itex]x_0 \in H[/itex] show that there is a unique closest point [itex]c_0[/itex] of [itex]C[/itex] to [itex]x_0[/itex], and that it satisfies the
    variational inequality [itex]\Re \langle x_0 - c_0 \,|\, c -c_0\rangle \leq 0[/itex] for all [itex]c \in C[/itex]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2005 #2
    Solution (i)

Since we are in a Hilbert space I figured that using the distance metric and perhaps the parallelogram law will be used.

Let [itex]d[/itex] be the smallest distance from [itex]C[/itex] to [itex]c[/itex]. This can also be written as

[tex]d = \inf d(x,y)[/tex]

The first thing I thought was, how can I make such a bold statement? Does [itex]d[/itex] even exist? But I assured myself that there is such a [itex]d[/itex] because we made the condition that [itex]C[/itex] was a closed convex set, therefore we can make [itex]d[/itex] as small as we like. If [itex]C[/itex] wasn't closed convex then there would be trouble at the boundaries.

Anyway, the next step involves setting up a sequence of elements of [itex]C[/itex], like the sequence of [itex]y_n \in C[/itex]. This enables us to introduce the parallelogram law.

[tex]\|c - y_n\| = d(x,y_n) \rightarrow d[/tex].

So the distance from [itex]c[/itex] to every element [itex]y_n[/itex] in the sequence approaches the smallest distance [itex]d[/itex] the further along the sequence we go. But this can only happen if [itex](y_n)[/itex] is a Cauchy sequence. We know that Cauchy sequences behave like this in Hilbert Spaces, and the easiest way I know of proving [itex](y_n)[/itex] is a Cauchy sequence is to use the Parallelogram Law and prove that it approaches 0 as [itex]n \rightarrow 0[/itex]. So we have

[tex]\|y_n - y_m\|^2 &=& 2\|y_n - c\|^2 + 2\|y_m - c\|^2 - \|(y_n+y_m)-2c\|^2 [/tex]

[tex]
    \leq 2\|y_n - c\|^2 + 2\|y_m - c\|^2 - 4d^2 [/tex]

[tex]
    \rightarrow 0[/tex]

Remember that [itex]d[/itex] is our minimum distance. So we know [itex](y_n)[/itex] is a Cauchy sequence. And we also know that [itex]C[/itex] is closed. Hence [itex]C[/itex] is a complete space and so [itex]y_n \rightarrow c_0 \in C[/itex]. That is, the Cauchy sequence approaches the unique point [itex]c_0[/itex] as [itex]n \rightarrow \infty[/itex].

It follows, by the continuity of the norm, that

[tex]\|c-c_0\| = d[/tex]

Which says that there exists a distance [itex]d[/itex] from any arbitrary point [itex]c \in C[/itex] to the point [itex]c_0 \in C[/itex] that is minimum, that is there exists a smallest norm.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?