Discover the Smallest Possible Force: Physics Lab Demonstration Tips and Ideas

• Thread starter 123aaa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the smallest possible force would be to move a designated mass (paper clip, gnat, etc.) with an air track at a speed of 1 cm/min for a maximum of 30 mins. The force would be calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by acceleration.
123aaa
I have a lab for physics that I have to demonstrate the smallest possible force. The force has to be mearsured by multiplying the mass of the designated object by acceleration. It has to have a continuous and positive acceleration. The distance is that it must travel at least 30 cm. Any ideas and help would be great :).

I had an idea using the air track with a paper clip but it would be kinda typical for our class since everyone is doing it since no one knows what to do.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Rats! I was going to suggest a gnat fart until I read further into your post. I don't think that 30cm is achievable with that.

Seriously, I don't understand the question. The smallest possible force wouldn't move anything any appreciable distance. Do you mean the smallest force that will move a designated mass 30cm?

oh haha, sorry for the unclear question.
Yeah, that's what I meant--moving a designated mass of 30cm.

Well,then... F=ma. How long are you allowed to accelerate the given mass? Plug that figure into the formula along with whatever that given mass is.

I'm a little confused too... are u supposed to get it as close to 30 cm as possible?

It should go to at least 30 cm and it should accelerate for about a maximum of 30 mins.

Okay, then... just follow the formula. Use your maximum allotted time to minimize the required force.

but how am i going to demonstrate the force?

Unless I missed something (which is quite possible because I'm on my 8th beer), you didn't mention what the mass is of the body in question. And even when you do divulge it, you're going to have to work it out yourself. I don't know what you mean by 'demonstrate'. That could indicate either a mathematical proof of your conclusions, or a physical staging.

It's suppose to be a physical staging...and the mass can be any object.

I was thinking of using a paper clip to accelerate with an air track but any better ideas?

well... as for displaying how it works, wouldn't the objet moving be evidence of the force?

as for figuring out force, u need it to be traveling 1cm/min idealy on average
make a graph of distance over time, that being 30cm over 30 mins, take the dirivative(sp?) to get speed(remember u have to start with a speed of 0), then the dirivative(sp?) of that to get acceleration, then figure out the force from that...

if you are getting really lazy with it, you could always take a small piece of paper and practice blowing it across a table with a dropper =/

a lighter object might be harder to control though so don't go too light

1. What is the smallest possible force that can be measured in a physics lab demonstration?

The smallest possible force that can be measured in a physics lab demonstration depends on the equipment and techniques used. With sensitive equipment and careful calibration, forces as small as 10^-18 Newtons can be measured.

2. How can I demonstrate the smallest possible force in a physics lab?

One way to demonstrate the smallest possible force in a physics lab is by using an atomic force microscope. This device uses a tiny cantilever to measure forces at the nanoscale level. Another method is to use a ballistic pendulum, which can measure forces as small as 10^-6 Newtons.

3. What are some tips for ensuring accurate measurements of the smallest possible force?

To ensure accurate measurements of the smallest possible force, it is important to use sensitive equipment that is properly calibrated. It is also important to minimize external factors that could affect the measurements, such as vibrations or air currents. Using multiple measurements and averaging the results can also improve accuracy.

4. Can the smallest possible force be measured without specialized equipment?

It is difficult to accurately measure the smallest possible force without specialized equipment. However, there are some simple experiments that can demonstrate the concept of small forces, such as using a spring scale to measure the force of a feather or a piece of paper resting on a table.

5. How does understanding the smallest possible force impact scientific research and technology?

Understanding the smallest possible force is crucial for many areas of scientific research and technology. It allows for the development of sensitive equipment and techniques that can measure and manipulate forces at the nanoscale level. This knowledge also plays a vital role in fields such as materials science, nanotechnology, and biophysics.