Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Smallest quantity of gravity?

1. Apr 8, 2013 #1
    What I'd like to know is has anyone figured out a system of units for gravitational attraction? I can't find anything on google. For instance, given a hydrogen atom or even just a proton, is there a quantification of how much gravitational attraction it exerts on everything else around it (I suppose at a given distance)

I'm not talking about weight here, since that changes based on the setting of the mass in question

Second questions, is there a layman's explanation of the relationship between mass (which I understand is thought to be created by higgs bosons) and the actual gravitational force being provided by mass? Does one (the higgs) cause gravity, or are both mass and gravity produced by something else and are simply correlated?

Thanx!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2013 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Sounds to me like you are just looking for Newton's equation for gravitational force. Are you familiar with it?

4. Apr 8, 2013 #3
    I can't answer your second question but your first one is, just as Russ pointed out, Newton's law of gravitation.

GM1M2 / d^2

G= Gravitational constant
    M1= Mass one
    M2= Mass two

divided by their distance squared.

5. Apr 8, 2013 #4

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The Higgs field is part of the explanation for mass. Most of the mass of nucleons comes from internal energy.

Gravity is a force (proportional to mass) described by Newton's law and more precisely by general rerlativity. Current theory has no direct connection with Higgs field.

6. Apr 9, 2013 #5
    Just to show how weak the force of gravity is between atoms, A. J. Mallmann in an article in The Physics Teacher v 32 1994 calculated that two hydrogen atoms initially at rest and 1.0 mm apart attracted only by gravity would take 2 million years for them to "fall" to a separation of 0.5mm. Very interesting.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook