Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Smallest Rotary Actuators ?

1. May 27, 2007 #1
    Hi people,

I am trying to find the smallest possible rotary actuators (I think the electrical ones are the smallest in the category though maybe there are also pietzoelectic rotary actuators with high torque for small angles) for the 1-10 Nm (8 - 86 inch-lbf) range. I don't need them to actually fully spin - just a total rotation at a small angle range of 20-25 degrees total is sufficient. Rotation speed is also not important at all. SIZE IS the only and most important factor. If you know product names or have links or know catalogs where you know it can be found, please post them.

Also, if you happen to know about the smallest possible linear actuators in the 50-100 N range.

Thank you :smile:
  2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2007 #2

Science Advisor

You may want to check out micro servos made by companies like Futaba and Airtronics (RC airplanes). They can get very small and lightweight for electric apps. I don't know their specs off the top of my head though. Just a place to start.
  4. May 27, 2007 #3

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

5. Jun 3, 2007 #4
    Thanks guys ! :smile:
    I found something on GlobalSpec too but those were just statistics - much better too see exactly what you need. I managed to shorten then distance so the moment is now right in the range I need. Thanks again. :smile:
  6. Jun 3, 2007 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi Aero,
    When looking for something you don't know the manufacturer of, I'd suggest using ThomasNet:

Look for rotary solenoids, or something like that:

I researched Lisk for similar things about 12 years ago. They seemed like a very decent supplier.
  7. Jun 3, 2007 #6
  8. Jun 4, 2007 #7
    Thanks again guys. :smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?