What are the Smallest Rotary Actuators for Low Torque and Angle Range?

• Thread starter Aero Stud
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rotary
In summary, the person is looking for the smallest possible rotary actuators for the 1-10 Nm (8 - 86 inch-lbf) range with a rotation speed of not important. The most important factor is size. They found something on GlobalSpec, but are concerned about the strength. They researched Lisk 12 years ago and found them to be a decent supplier.
Aero Stud
Hi people,

I am trying to find the smallest possible rotary actuators (I think the electrical ones are the smallest in the category though maybe there are also pietzoelectic rotary actuators with high torque for small angles) for the 1-10 Nm (8 - 86 inch-lbf) range. I don't need them to actually fully spin - just a total rotation at a small angle range of 20-25 degrees total is sufficient. Rotation speed is also not important at all. SIZE IS the only and most important factor. If you know product names or have links or know catalogs where you know it can be found, please post them.

Also, if you happen to know about the smallest possible linear actuators in the 50-100 N range.

Thank you :smile:

Engineering news on Phys.org
You may want to check out micro servos made by companies like Futaba and Airtronics (RC airplanes). They can get very small and lightweight for electric apps. I don't know their specs off the top of my head though. Just a place to start.

I was going to suggest micro servos from RC models too.

http://www.futaba-rc.com/servos/servos.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys ! :smile:
I found something on GlobalSpec too but those were just statistics - much better too see exactly what you need. I managed to shorten then distance so the moment is now right in the range I need. Thanks again. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks again guys. :smile:

What is a rotary actuator?

A rotary actuator is a mechanical device that converts energy into rotational motion. It is commonly used in various industrial and scientific applications to control movement and positioning.

How does a rotary actuator work?

A rotary actuator typically consists of a power source, a drive mechanism, and a control system. The power source provides the energy to drive the actuator, while the drive mechanism converts this energy into rotational motion. The control system is responsible for directing the movement of the actuator.

What is the smallest size of a rotary actuator?

The size of a rotary actuator can vary greatly depending on its specific purpose. However, the smallest rotary actuators are typically micro-sized, with dimensions ranging from a few millimeters to a few centimeters.

What are the advantages of using small rotary actuators?

Small rotary actuators offer several benefits, including compact size, high precision, and low power consumption. They are also versatile and can be used in various applications, such as robotics, medical devices, and aerospace technology.

What are the limitations of small rotary actuators?

While small rotary actuators have many advantages, they also have limitations. These include limited torque and force output, which may not be sufficient for some heavy-duty applications. Additionally, small rotary actuators may be more prone to wear and tear due to their smaller size and components.