Smallest Speakers: Are Speakers Made This Small?

• Thread starter mat337d
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Speaker
In summary, the conversation revolves around the speaker size being requested (1-5 mm), with the person seeking suggestions for speakers in that size range. It is mentioned that common earphones and musicians' in-ear monitors are typically the smallest speakers available. The idea of using hearing aids or bone speakers is also discussed, with suggestions for looking into piezo devices that may have good frequency range and output level. It is also mentioned that Etymotic is a brand known for their high-quality and custom-made earphones.
mat337d
I am looking for a speaker that is roughly 1-5 mm in size. Are speakers made this small? I looked on google but could only find speakers around 25mm in diameter. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
What is the frequency range required? I have seen ultrasonic speakers that are close to that size.

I need one in the range of human hearing. say for playing music or for cellphone signal.

You won't be able to get much signal amplitude with a speaker that small.

Common earphones are probably as small as you will find.

In-ear audio monitoring

mat337d said:
I am looking for a speaker that is roughly 1-5 mm in size. Are speakers made this small?
Musicians' in-ear monitors seem to use speaker elements that are pretty small. There are also consumer audiophile in-ear speakers from Etymotic that also may use pretty small elements.

Ivan Seeking said:
You won't be able to get much signal amplitude with a speaker that small.

Common earphones are probably as small as you will find.
What about hearing aids? You would think that they have a fairly good frequency range and they're small too.

Regards

Don

dlgoff said:
What about hearing aids? You would think that they have a fairly good frequency range
No. I would think that they shoot for 3K. If you're looking for good frequency range, you're looking for Etymotic or musicians' in-ear monitors.

thank you for your responses they have been very helpful.

You might be able to find something in the piezo family that will suit your needs - phones that have speakerphone or laptops typically have some very space-optimized designs.

Frequency range and output level are 2 important things to keep in mind - the range in the typical conversation and the restricted range used in phone systems are examples of this applied to a real life scenario. Ever listen to music from someone else's phone?

Some piezo devices used for phone rings and stuff are very loud for their size but can only do tones in a very narrow frequency range (and one where our ears are very sensitive).

Cliff

P.S. I've heard from reliable sources the guy behind Etymotic is a real genius in his field and his products reflect that IMO. The basic flat frequency response generic ear plugs (far better than the ones at a music store) are like $15 but the custom made ones are nearly $300 plus a visit to an audiologist to get them fitted!

Last edited:

1. What are the benefits of having small speakers?

Small speakers are convenient for those with limited space, as they can easily fit into small areas. They are also portable and can be easily transported from one location to another. Small speakers also tend to be more affordable compared to larger speakers.

2. Do small speakers sacrifice sound quality?

While small speakers may not have the same sound quality as larger speakers, advancements in technology have allowed for smaller speakers to produce high-quality sound. However, it is important to note that the size of the speaker does play a role in its overall sound quality.

3. How small can speakers be made?

With the constantly evolving technology, speakers can be made incredibly small, with some being the size of a coin. However, the size of the speaker will also depend on its purpose and the technology used to produce sound.

4. Are small speakers suitable for all types of audio?

Small speakers can be suitable for a variety of audio, but they may not be the best choice for producing deep bass or high volumes. They are more commonly used for listening to music or watching videos at a moderate volume.

5. Can small speakers be used for professional purposes?

While small speakers can produce high-quality sound, they may not be the best option for professional purposes such as recording studios or large events. These settings typically require larger, more powerful speakers to produce the desired sound.