Is the Electron the Smallest Stable Particle?

In summary, the question of the smallest stable subatomic particle is difficult to answer definitively due to the vagueness of the criteria. However, the electron neutrino appears to be the lightest stable elementary particle according to current understanding. Further research and study may provide more accurate information on the masses of subatomic particles.
nottay
Is an electron the smallest stable subatomic particle? By stable I mean it can exist independently of other particles.

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "smallest"? Lightest?

maybe photon or electron .

Take your pick from here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_particles

The question is very vague for because for example the electron will immediately combine with a positively charged particle...is that "stable" enough for you?? does an electron in an atom meet your criteria?...in addition, the typical electron is a "cloud" rather than a point particle as often modeled.

I would say some neutrino is the "smallest" in the sense that it has a small mass and doesn't interact much with anything.

Naty1 said:
Take your pick from here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_particles

The question is very vague for because for example the electron will immediately combine with a positively charged particle...is that "stable" enough for you?? does an electron in an atom meet your criteria?...in addition, the typical electron is a "cloud" rather than a point particle as often modeled.
The same could be said about any other particle, but I agree, the question isn't really precise enough to answer unambiguously.

phyzguy said:
What do you mean by "smallest"? Lightest?

By "smallest" I mean non-zero rest mass. By "stable" I mean it can exist independently of other subatomic particles for an extended period of time.

nottay said:
By "smallest" I mean non-zero rest mass. By "stable" I mean it can exist independently of other subatomic particles for an extended period of time.[/QUOTE

The lightest stable elementary particle appears to be the electron neutrino. I say appears to be because the neutrino masses are not known very accurately, but my understanding is that the electron neutrino is the lightest of the three neutrinos.

Thanks phyzguy!

What is the smallest stable particle?

The smallest stable particle is currently believed to be the electron, a subatomic particle with a negative charge found in the electron cloud surrounding an atom's nucleus.

How do scientists determine the stability of a particle?

Scientists determine the stability of a particle by observing its decay rate. A stable particle will have a very low decay rate, meaning it can exist for a long period of time without breaking down into smaller particles.

Are there any particles smaller than the electron?

There are currently no known particles smaller than the electron. However, there are theoretical particles such as quarks and leptons that are believed to be the building blocks of the electron and other subatomic particles.

Can particles become unstable over time?

Yes, particles can become unstable over time due to various factors such as collisions with other particles or changes in their environment. This can lead to their decay into smaller particles.

Why is it important to study the smallest stable particles?

Studying the smallest stable particles helps scientists better understand the fundamental building blocks of matter and the laws that govern the universe. It also has practical applications in fields such as particle physics, materials science, and technology development.