What Is the Lightest Weight Measurable by a Sensitive Scales?

• Thread starter scupydog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Weight
In summary, my dad thinks he can answer the question about what has the smallest mass. If you had a very sensitive weighing scales and you put the lightest thing on them, what would it weigh. Daisy weighs 11.
scupydog
Scupydog is my dad i would like to ask a question that my dad thinks he can answer.

If you had a very sensitive weighing scales and you put the lightest thing on them, what would it weigh.

Daisy 11. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Everything that is matter has mass. A bread crumb has a weight.

Werg22 said:
Everything that is matter has mass. A bread crumb has a weight.

What would have the smallest mass.

To my knowledge, an elementary particle called the neutrino has the smallest mass. I could be wrong, however.

The smallest mass that can exist in nature is 2.176 × 10-8 kg which is the Planck mass. I don't know what has that mass though..

Weight is a force, it depends on the mass of thing you're weighing and the acceleration due to gravity where you are. weight=mass*gravity

Basically you weigh more when gravity is stronger, gravity is about the same everywhere on the surface of the Earth, but actually it's slightly stronger at the poles - if you went to the North Pole you'd weigh more than if you were on the equator!

He meant mass, so weight doesn't have much to do with this.

Either way you see it, the lightest thing would be the thing with the smallest mass, if you compare it to something with the same gravitational force on it...

Jarle said:
The smallest mass that can exist in nature is 2.176 × 10-8 kg which is the Planck mass. I don't know what has that mass though..

My dad said the same thing.:smile:

Yes I did, son.

:P

Jarle said:
Yes I did, son.

:P

Daisy is an odd name for a son :)

Oh, it's a girl. Oh well, my lie has been revealed.

Werg22 said:
To my knowledge, an elementary particle called the neutrino has the smallest mass. I could be wrong, however.
I don't that what she's asking. That would the wo..universe's lightest object but not the smallest mass possible. I don't know if there's a limit to how small things could get.

Yes there is, and it is restricted to the Planck length as far as I know. The smallest 'amount' of mass that can be set in the smallest possible volume (planckmeter^3) is excactly the Planckmass.

If you are talking about weight, the smallest theoretical possible weight is 0, if not other mass is affecting the object, or is affecting it equally on all sides.
But weight is not the question here, because it differs.

scupydog said:
My dad said the same thing.:smile:
The electron, which is certainly NOT the lightest particle of matter in the universe, is nearly a million million millon million times lighter than anything that might have Planck mass.

This may give you some idea: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orders_of_magnitude_(mass)
Werg22 said:

The last time I stood on a weighing scale, it showed a little more than a few eV. :tongue:

Last edited:
Jarle said:
The smallest mass that can exist in nature is 2.176 × 10-8 kg which is the Planck mass.
How is it then, that this is roughly the mass of one of my hairs? I can name a lot of things that are lighter than this.

daisy said:
My dad said the same thing.
Even dads can be wrong every once in a while. Most of the time, they're right though!

Last edited:
Gokul43201 said:
How is it then, that this is roughly the mass of one of my hairs? I can name a lot of things that are lighter than this.

Even dads can be wrong every once in a while. Most of the time, they're right though!

Haha, there was a time were I took my dad for a textbook. The innocence of childhood... :tongue2:

Gokul43201 said:

You tell me! :bugeye:

I thought the Planck units were the smallest units you could use, and that exists...

Why don't you look up what Planck mass means and how it is defined?

I did, I read an article about it... I'll look up on it again...

no offense but this question has no meaning of course it would find the wieght if it was SENSITIVE ENOUGH! if not it would'nt register anythinf

you'd probably need a cyclotron or something in that high-energy category to even detect its presence, let alone measure it

Well, the weight was supposed to measure it's WEIGHT, not it's amount of energy, right?

I read about Plancks constant, didn't udnerstand a thing, wikipedia is so unclear on definitions.

What IS the smallest weight then?

Jarle said:
What IS the smallest weight then?

There is none, AFAIK. There might be a particle* which has the smallest measured mass (let's avoid weight), but if you're looking for an absolute lower limit (greater than 0) set by nature, I don't think there is one. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

*most probably a neutrino, as of now

I really was convinced that this lower limit was the Planck mass.

I find it hard to believe that you could cut material in half endlessly and never get to the point where you can't cut no more.

Jarle said:
I read about Plancks constant, didn't udnerstand a thing, wikipedia is so unclear on definitions.

Here is the wiki article on the Planck Mass: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planck_mass.

I think the definition here is quite clear.

You can't actually weigh a photon but I suppose they have as small a mass as is conceivable - zero.

cristo said:
Here is the wiki article on the Planck Mass: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planck_mass.

if i get three pieces of string of Planck length and form them into a circle then the diameter is less than the Planck length

scupydog said:
if i get three pieces of string of Planck length and form them into a circle then the diameter is less than the Planck length

What do you intend to make these pieces of string out of? The Planck length is of the order 10-35m, whereas the radius of an atom is of the order 10-13m.

cristo said:

cristo said:
What do you intend to make these pieces of string out of? The Planck length is of the order 10-35m, whereas the radius of an atom is of the order 10-13m.
so the Planck length has to be a circumferance because it can't be a radius or must it be a radius

Last edited:
As for the wiki article mentioned, I would not say that the Planck mass is the smallest mass possible. It is the mass of a particular type of black hole whose radius is 'roughly' the Planck length. It might result that it is the densest mass possible (just a wild guess).

scupydog said:
so the Planck length has to be a circumferance because it can't be a radius or must it be a radius

Well, neither. The Planck length is thought to be the smallest distance that can exist and still have meaning. Of course, this is a theory, and so has never been tested, but no smaller unit of length has been measured yet.

The point I was attempting to make is that we can't make a piece of string of length equal to Planck's length out of everyday, physical substances, and thus your idea of putting three pieces of string together to form a circle, with diameter less than the Planck length cannot be done.

I hope this makes sense, however I am no expert in this field. If anyone more qualified is reading this and can explain, please jump in!

:D I got it!

Since no one is, I will jump to the conclusion, the Planck length IS the smallest length measurable and that makes sense in the univers. The Planck mass is the LARGEST amount of mass that can be filled in this volume.

So, any expert, tell me if I got it totally wrong and need to read about Planck constants, or if i may have something right here.

So the Planck mass in a volume of the Planck length needs relativity, gravity and quantum mechanics to describe its state. So the slightest mass possible remains unknown. Is a neutrino heavier than a photon (as far as I remember, a photon is said to have null mass at rest, but it moves at c, and then its mass is not null)?

So the slightest mass possible remains unknown. Is a neutrino heavier than a photon (as far as I remember, a photon is said to have null mass at rest, but it moves at c, and then its mass is not null)?

Regardless of velocity, a photon will have zero mass.

[tex]m_r = \frac{m_0}{\sqrt{1 - v^2/c^2}}[/tex]

[tex]m_r[/tex] is the relativistic mass, which increases with velocity [this is what your trying to say increases]. Now if [tex]m_0[/tex] is the rest mass, which is zero for a photon, the quotient would be zero. Therefore the relative mass of a photon is also zero and does not increase with velocity.

Last edited: