Smallest Number with 50+ Symbols Definition

In summary: It's just saying the same thing again.If I asked you what 1 is, you wouldn't say '1 is defined as 1'. You'd say '1 is the number after 0'. Or something like that.The problem is, you're playing with the definition of "definition", and you're playing with the definition of "symbol". That's why I asked if you understand the concept of a paradox. If you say that "the smallest number whose definition requires at least 50 symbols" is a paradox, then you're playing with the definition of "paradox". This is not a paradox. This is just a self-referential statement that is meaningless because it doesn't actually
tribdog
What is the:
smallest # whose definition requires at least 50 symbols?

Physics news on Phys.org
seventy-five?

that is only 12 symbols
and could also be written:
75-2symbols
3(5^2)-6symbols
70+5-4symbols

Last edited:
I understand this is supposed to be a brain teaser, but is it meaningful without precise explanation of the terms "definition" and "symbol?"

- Warren

It's an old so-called paradox, I can't remember who thought of it now, but the paradox is that if there exists such a number you can always define it by "the smallest # whose definition needs at least 50 symbols", which is less than 50 symbols

disqualified

jcsd, did you mean: ('...which is at least 50 symbols'? That's what the question was asking for.

BTW, I count 56. No reason not to count the spaces.
)

Too bad this answer is invalid (even if it is the intended answer). What it has created is:

(The smallest # whose definition requires at least 50 symbols is 'the smallest # whose definition requires at least 50 symbols'.

This is a circular argument. It doesn't mean anything.

What is 1?
1 is the number defined as 1.
)

DaveC426913 said:
jcsd, did you mean:

I meant exactly what I wrote.

Too bad this answer is invalid (even if it is the intended answer). What it has created is:

Do you understand the concept of a paradox :uhh:

I think the confusion between what you (jcsd) meant and how DaveC interpreted it lies in the "number of symbols". Clearly, the 'number of symbols' refers to the number of different symbols, while, I believe, DaveC's counting the total number of characters in the definition.

In that equation there are 49 symbols...

s m a l l e s t # w h o s e d e f i n i t i o n r e q u i r e s a t l e a s t 5 0 s y m b o l s ?

Berry's paradox.

Rosemary, why don't you consider the space as a symbol?

"Do you understand the concept of a paradox."

I do. Do you? A paradox would require 2 apparently true statements that appear to contradict each other. This is not a paradox, it's merely incorrect.

Say we agree that the definition is "the smallest # whose definition requires at least 50 symbols".

You state that this *is* less than 50 symbols (after all, you meant what you wrote). If it is less than 50 symbols, then it is clearly an incorrect definition. The statement is false, there is no contradiction, there is no paradox.

That big said, according to *my* interpretation (counting spaces), the definition *is* at least 50 symbols. It is not contradicting itself.

But what I'm saying is the answer isn't an anser at all.

"The smallest number whose definition requires at least 50 symbols can be defined as 'The smallest number whose definition requires at least 50 symbols'".

is not an answer. Just as '1 is defined as 1' is not an answer.

What is the smallest number with 50+ symbols definition?

The smallest number with 50+ symbols definition is known as "Graham's number," and it is a concept in mathematics first described by mathematician Ronald Graham in 1971. It is a large number that is used in theoretical mathematics and has no practical value in everyday life.

How many symbols are in the definition of Graham's number?

The definition of Graham's number consists of more than 50 symbols, making it one of the longest mathematical expressions ever created. It is estimated to have around 64 symbols in its definition, but the exact number may vary depending on the method of representation.

What is the significance of Graham's number?

Graham's number is significant because it is an upper bound for a problem in Ramsey theory, a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties of mathematical structures. It is also used in the field of combinatorics, which is the study of counting and arranging objects.

Can Graham's number be written out numerically?

No, Graham's number is too large to be written out numerically using standard notation. If we were to write out all the digits of Graham's number, it would have more digits than there are atoms in the observable universe. Therefore, it is usually represented using special notation or as an exponential expression.

Why is it important to have a smallest number with 50+ symbols definition?

The concept of Graham's number has no practical applications, but it is important in theoretical mathematics as it helps us understand the limits of human comprehension and the vastness of the universe. It also serves as a reminder of the immense complexity and beauty of mathematics.