Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Smart drugs.

1. Oct 6, 2006 #1
    "Smart" drugs.

Hello, i recently heard about "smart" drugs that could improve your brain activity or similar, for US forumers this will be more known i have heard about "tetra tab" and "Modaphinil" (or something similar, sorry i'm not a chemist) , of course they didn't make you a genious but improve your creativity or somehow the ability to solve problems..any information?.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2006 #2

J77

I'll pm you my bank account details...

:tongue: :biggrin:

4. Oct 6, 2006 #3

Mk

Modafinil is not something you should take normally. Modafinil is used as a military go-pill that keeps helicopter pilots and soldiers awake for longer than twice their normal span.

5. Oct 6, 2006 #4
    There are some excellent links at the bottom of the wikipedia article.

Interesting stuff

6. Oct 6, 2006 #5

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Modafinil (Provigil) is commonly prescribed for Narcolepsy, however, recently it has been shown to increase "brain power;" during particular research trials, the participants who had taken the pill performed better with "Tower of Hanoi" type of tasks then did the controls. However, it doesn't have this influence on everyone. Some prefer the Provigil over Ritalin, since the latter tends to increase the heart rate and produces a euphoric effect. You're going to need to have a talk with a doctor about taking these pills, and not all of them are in favor of handing them out so liberally.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2006
  7. Oct 7, 2006 #6
    - As far as i know (of course it was at wikipedia or some article in a pseudo-scientific journal :confused:) they have little or no side effect (they talked about headache using Modafinil), another question is if they're legal or not at your country outside US.

- If an athelte take drugs to keep him on fit, why shouldn't we take drugs when performing a Ph D. thesis, or other important intelectual work to get better results?.

8. Oct 7, 2006 #7

Mk

I think the drugs discussed here are legal in every country. No?

9. Oct 8, 2006 #8
    If you have depression problems, antidepressants can improve your brain functioning.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?