Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Smart guy, bad decision

1. Oct 26, 2012 #1
    So I am a physics major...This isn't relevant, just thought I'd mention as much. Anyway, after feeling a bit lonely in college, I tried, indiscriminately to meet women. I pretty much gave up on anything meaningful because I'm so much of an anomaly.Again, irrelevant information. One of the women I met was a girl who works at the school cafeteria. She doesn't go to my college. We slept together. No problem there right? Well, apparently, she told the ENTIRE cafeteria staff. They are so freaking obnoxious every time I enter the cafe now. There's a lot of sexual innuendo and inside jokes. A lot of giggles too.I'm starting to not even want to go there. The girl is being distant and cold now, so no help there. Anybody else ever dealt with this? Maybe at work, an organization, or at school?I'm really a quite, smart fellow. This type of situation doesn't fit me at all.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2012 #2

Averagesupernova

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sleep with another one of them.

4. Oct 26, 2012 #3

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Aw, so sorry to hear it, MathINTJ. You're in a situation that's not easy for males or females. I know you know physical intimacy is not a suitable substitute for emotional intimacy, but...hey, we're all human. It's hard to be lonely and meeting people is tough for INTJs (there are lots of us on this forum, btw).

If you tough it out and keep going to the cafeteria, the snickers will eventually fade. But it could take a while, I'm afraid. The small-minded people who are making jokes at your expense will eventually be distracted by something else.

Try going there with other friends, male or female.

5. Oct 26, 2012 #4

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

She may be really embarrassed by the way the cafeteria staff is treating you since she made it happen and it involves her. I'd suggest just take it in stride and don't let it bother you. I mean, does it really matter if you slept with some girl? Do you regret it? If not, don't worry! I guarantee that if you don't let it bother you and you don't let others see that it does, it will fade away. Just don't even acknowledge the jokes. Make it your little game. Someone snickers or makes a joke, you break them with a "i won't even react" face.

6. Oct 27, 2012 #5

Averagesupernova

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I should probably clarify. The advice from Drakkith and lisab is certainly good advice. I do believe the girl you were with is quite likely embarrassed and if you were to get with another one it would not double your problems. Now it would be those two against the rest of the lunch ladies, or if you choose to make it three, well need I say more? I would also not worry about hurting the feelings of the girl you were with since she isn't very concerned for yours.

7. Oct 27, 2012 #6

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Me, personally, I wouldn't care. It's happened a few times before and I completely understand the others acting the way they do. The only thing that would bother me is the girl becoming distant.

8. Oct 27, 2012 #7

Drakkith

I seriously doubt this will improve anything.

9. Oct 27, 2012 #8

Averagesupernova

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

While I personally would not do it, what do you think would happen if he got with every other lunch lady there? Unless he was really bad at it I don't think they would all be snickering.

10. Oct 27, 2012 #9

Drakkith

I think the bigger issue is why would you sleep with a bunch of women just to try to make things better? Have you ever known casual sex in this manner to lead to anything but trouble? I think the best thing to do is to talk to her, not sleep with every other girl there. Besides, imagine how she would feel when she found out you had slept with all of her coworkers. Probably not too good. And then what would everyone else there think? Certainly nothing good, even if it wasn't necessarily bad.

No, I believe sex rarely solves any problems whatsoever. If you like to sleep around, then that's your choice, but that's different than doing it in an attempt to make things better.

11. Oct 27, 2012 #10

Averagesupernova

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Remember, I said I wouldn't do it. I was trying to make a point.

Oh, I don't know, maybe the same way he feels about it that she avoids him and her coworkers are snickering?

12. Oct 27, 2012 #11

Drakkith

Not YOU specifically, but someone in general.

Yes, which isn't something anyone should be actively trying to do. Why would you want to make anyone feel that way?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook