Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Smart meters

1. Jun 22, 2011 #1
    In North America, awareness of smart grid/smart meters remains low. Mainstream media doesn't discuss much about this technology. People who protest against it get arrested. So, I got curious.

Could you describe your biggest concern relative to smart grid/smart meters?

I was told to search for "Citizens Against Smart Meters" website to read their views, but couldn't find the website.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2011 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

That's because there is nothing about the meters that is harmful.

If you search for information from crackpot sites, all you will get is crackpot information.

Here is information on smart meters...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_meter

4. Jun 23, 2011 #3

Ryan_m_b

Smart grid/meter? You mean something to monitor electricity consumption :uhh: why would anyone protest that?

5. Jun 23, 2011 #4
    Evo sent a private message on this issue, and I've answered back. I'm waiting for a confirmation before I can post, here, in this thread, the reasons of this protest.

6. Jun 23, 2011 #5
    Do you really need a meter to tell you how much electricity each appliance is using? Most people realize that the highest level of consumption is during the day. For this knowledge should we have to spend billions, and have a dangerous device on each home and apartment? Frankly, this seems a "luxury" that can't be jusitifed.

People must be cautious -- many posters work for the industry and not all responses are completely valid.

7. Jun 23, 2011 #6

Evo

They are safe Ben. Your fears are unwarranted. Do not post unscientific nonsense in this forum.

http://www.ccst.us/publications/2011/2011smart-final.pdf

8. Jun 23, 2011 #7

Evo

The meters are to elliminate costly human meter readers. It will eliminate a lot of human error. I don't see any down side.

Of course kooks are everywhere and love to scare themselves and others over non-existent issues. People were protesting because they think the electric company is using the meters to gather information on them. Gee, ya think? :rofl:

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  9. Jun 23, 2011 #8

Ryan_m_b

Welcome to PF, I'm afraid I find the ignorance of this post is astounding! If you are going to claim something you are going to need to back it up with references from peer-reviewed literature.

10. Jun 23, 2011 #9
    I went out to my meter to find out if it was one of those smart-meter devices. What a surprise, there are about 30 smart meters hooked up to my house. Everything going in and out is being monitored. No wonder I've been getting all those emails about Rolexes. However, the one that scared me the most is the one that is monitoring my PF usage.

11. Jun 23, 2011 #10

Evo

LOL Jimmy.

I think it's time to close this down.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook