Uncovering the Truth Behind Smart Grid & Smart Meters

• Thread starter BenVitale
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Grid
In summary, people are protesting against smart grid technology because they think the electric company is using the meters to gather information on them. The meters are to elliminate costly human meter readers.
BenVitale
In North America, awareness of smart grid/smart meters remains low. Mainstream media doesn't discuss much about this technology. People who protest against it get arrested. So, I got curious.

Could you describe your biggest concern relative to smart grid/smart meters?

I was told to search for "Citizens Against Smart Meters" website to read their views, but couldn't find the website.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's because there is nothing about the meters that is harmful.

If you search for information from crackpot sites, all you will get is crackpot information.

Here is information on smart meters...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_meter

BenVitale said:
In North America, awareness of smart grid/smart meters remains low. Mainstream media doesn't discuss much about this technology. People who protest against it get arrested. So, I got curious.

Could you describe your biggest concern relative to smart grid/smart meters?

I was told to search for "Citizens Against Smart Meters" website to read their views, but couldn't find the website.

Smart grid/meter? You mean something to monitor electricity consumption :uhh: why would anyone protest that?

Evo sent a private message on this issue, and I've answered back. I'm waiting for a confirmation before I can post, here, in this thread, the reasons of this protest.

Do you really need a meter to tell you how much electricity each appliance is using? Most people realize that the highest level of consumption is during the day. For this knowledge should we have to spend billions, and have a dangerous device on each home and apartment? Frankly, this seems a "luxury" that can't be jusitifed.

People must be cautious -- many posters work for the industry and not all responses are completely valid.

BenVitale said:
Evo sent a private message on this issue, and I've answered back. I'm waiting for a confirmation before I can post, here, in this thread, the reasons of this protest.
They are safe Ben. Your fears are unwarranted. Do not post unscientific nonsense in this forum.

http://www.ccst.us/publications/2011/2011smart-final.pdf

Sharon2 said:
Do you really need a meter to tell you how much electricity each appliance is using? Most people realize that the highest level of consumption is during the day. For this knowledge should we have to spend billions, and have a dangerous device on each home and apartment? Frankly, this seems a "luxury" that can't be jusitifed.

People must be cautious -- many posters work for the industry and not all responses are completely valid.
The meters are to elliminate costly human meter readers. It will eliminate a lot of human error. I don't see any down side.

Of course kooks are everywhere and love to scare themselves and others over non-existent issues. People were protesting because they think the electric company is using the meters to gather information on them. Gee, you think? :rofl:

Last edited:
Sharon2 said:

Welcome to PF, I'm afraid I find the ignorance of this post is astounding! If you are going to claim something you are going to need to back it up with references from peer-reviewed literature.

I went out to my meter to find out if it was one of those smart-meter devices. What a surprise, there are about 30 smart meters hooked up to my house. Everything going in and out is being monitored. No wonder I've been getting all those emails about Rolexes. However, the one that scared me the most is the one that is monitoring my PF usage.

LOL Jimmy.

I think it's time to close this down.

1. What is a smart grid and how does it differ from a traditional grid?

A smart grid is an advanced electricity distribution system that uses modern technology to monitor and control the flow of electricity. Unlike traditional grids, which rely on one-way communication between the power plant and consumers, smart grids use two-way communication between the utility company and consumers to improve efficiency and reliability.

2. What are smart meters and how do they fit into the smart grid?

Smart meters are digital devices that replace traditional analog meters and provide real-time data about energy usage. They are an integral part of the smart grid as they allow for two-way communication between the utility company and consumers, enabling better management of energy distribution and consumption.

3. What are the benefits of implementing a smart grid and smart meters?

There are several benefits to implementing a smart grid and smart meters. These include improved reliability, increased efficiency, cost savings, better integration of renewable energy sources, and more accurate billing based on actual energy usage.

4. Are there any potential health risks associated with smart meters?

There is currently no scientific evidence to suggest that smart meters pose any health risks. They emit low levels of radiofrequency radiation, far below the safety limits set by regulatory agencies. Additionally, smart meters are only active for a small percentage of the day, making exposure to radiofrequency radiation minimal.

5. How can consumers ensure their privacy and security when using smart meters?

Utility companies have strict security measures in place to protect the data collected by smart meters. Consumers can also take steps to protect their privacy, such as setting up secure passwords and monitoring their energy usage data. It is also important to note that smart meters do not collect personal information, only energy usage data.