Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Smart or attractive?

1. your mate would be intelligent but homely

63 vote(s)
    65.6%
  2. your mate would be beautiful but dumb

33 vote(s)
    34.4%
  1. Dec 11, 2007 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

We've been having a discussion over in biology about selection.

Be honest, if you had only two choices, your mate could either be very intelligent, but homely, or beautiful and dumb, which would you choose?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2007 #2

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I voted; and feel lucky I didn't have to choose in real life.

4. Dec 11, 2007 #3

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Because you couldn't choose homely and dumb?

Or because you couldn't choose smart and beautiful?

Or because, in real life, the answer would be none of the above because the chances are almost nil of finding a mate that will have anything to do with you.

Yes, this poll really needed more options. I really wanted to choose homely, dumb, and drunk.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2007
  5. Dec 11, 2007 #4

radou

Homework Helper

My choice depends on what your definition of "mate" is. If it's not just sex, then I'll definitely vote for the intelligent one. I could never live with an idiot.

6. Dec 11, 2007 #5

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I vote both.

7. Dec 11, 2007 #6

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I dunno.. intelligence and beauty are nice, but love, compassion, and kindness are more important to me than both. I don't really care what mix of intelligence and beauty she has, as long as she has a good heart.

- Warren

8. Dec 11, 2007 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If those are my only choices (and some days it sure does look that way :uhh:), I'm afraid my genetic contribution to future generations is done for.

9. Dec 11, 2007 #8

Evo

It's nothing to think too deeply about. I seem to have remembered discussions where a lot of people placed looks over intelligence and I was curious to see if they had this difficult of a choice, if it would sway them in a particular direction.

I mean eventually we all get old and not that good looking.

The easy choice obviously would to have looks and intelligence.

10. Dec 11, 2007 #9

wolram

Gold Member

which one says no most often?

11. Dec 11, 2007 #10

Astronuc

How dumb? and How homely? :biggrin:

12. Dec 11, 2007 #11

Evo

Let's say 5 on a scale of ten for both, so average.

I just realized I'm somewhat shallow. :redface: I want at least a 6 on my scale of attractivess with DD being a 10.

13. Dec 11, 2007 #12
    I voted for intelligent but homely. If my wife finds out that I voted at all, it will be the end of me. After all, she's no dummy. I doubt I could even go 5 rounds with someone stupid. Looks wouldn't help in that case. So put a bag over her head. And put another one over your own head too if it'll help.

14. Dec 11, 2007 #13

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Precisely!

I'm not sure I could stand being around either a box of rocks in terms of mentality, or someone so hideous I felt icky if they touched me. But, if it's more like someone who's very intelligent and just mediocre in looks vs someone drop-dead gorgeous and just mediocre in intelligence, I'd choose intelligence over looks. If we're talking about the complete extremes of Einstein vs Rainman, I think I'd have to go with looks (as long as he doesn't try talking while the actual mating was happening, that might be more doable).

15. Dec 11, 2007 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Okay, if we're talking average for the "lesser" trait, I'm going for intelligent and average looking.

16. Dec 11, 2007 #15

Evo

See post 11, sorry, I should have set parameters.

We will assume that both will be equally nice.

17. Dec 11, 2007 #16
    Unless she's rich, in which case I would prefer stupid.

18. Dec 11, 2007 #17

Mk

Intelligence == beauty

19. Dec 11, 2007 #18
    I don't care about looks. I couldn't live without an active, mutually benefiting exchange of ideas, thoughts, comments etc.

20. Dec 11, 2007 #19

turbo

Gold Member

From the Riders in the Sky (a wonderful musical group!) Stronger whiskey and weaker women is what I say!

I have dated some unattractive women that were a joy to talk to and hang out with, and some stunners that were brain-dead, and some that were otherwise interesting, but wanted "family" so strongly that it seemed like I was being evaluated as a wage-earner, not a mate. My steady date for a couple of years in HS was a Miss Maine runner-up. She was pretty, leggy, shapely, and musically talented, but it took me a couple of years before I realized that her agenda didn't fit with my more open-ended outlook. I ended up with a mate that had an upbringing more closely fitted to mine, and we have pulled together as a team. Sorry for the horse/oxen analogy, but we work very well together.

21. Dec 11, 2007 #20

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'd also take intelligence and average looks over beauty and average intelligence. Beauty fades with time anyway, and I've always found that women with mediocre, "cute" looks grow on me rapidly if I'm attracted to their personalities. After a few weeks of interaction I think they're positively gorgeous.

- Warren

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?