Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Smartphone torch light

1. Sep 27, 2018 #1
    Is it feasible to design and develop a Smartphone torch app which can display light in different colors selected by the end user?

Thanks & Regards,
    Prashant S Akerkar

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2018 #2

Drakkith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Only if the LED can emit multiple colors. But I don't know of any that can.

4. Sep 27, 2018 #3
    Thanks.

Will this be a complex circuit to be designed inside a Smartphone?

Have LEDs say 5 numbers inside the Smartphone device emitting 5 different colors viz Red,Green,Blue,White,Yellow controlled by the Smartphone torch app.
    By selecting Red, the Red color light is emitted by the Red led diode.
    By selecting Green, the Green color light is emitted by the Green led diode.
    and so on ....

Thanks & Regards,
    Prashant S Akerkar

5. Sep 27, 2018 #4

Drakkith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Perhaps I wasn't clear. I don't know of any smartphones with LEDs capable of emitting anything other than white light. There may be some out there that can, but I don't know of them. Since these LEDs cannot emit anything other than white light, there is nothing you can do with software to make them emit a different color.

6. Sep 28, 2018 #5
    There are two light sources (worth mentioning) on a typical smartphone. One is the flashlight LED for the camera: this gives 'white' light only and it is actually weak if running long.

Other is the screen, but to change the color of that is a bit trivial I think.

7. Sep 28, 2018 #6
    Thanks.

Will this work?

1 Add four more LEDs viz Red,Green,Blue & Yellow.
    2 Design & Develop the torch app allowing the end user to select any of the five LEDs red,green,blue,yellow & white (camera). Depending upon the Led color is selected the torch flashlight color is displayed.

Will it be difficult to design & develop the Multicolor torch app for the Smartphone device?

Thanks & Regards,
    Prashant S Akerkar

8. Sep 28, 2018 #7
    If you add more LEDs then that's no longer just an app: it's already hardware.
    If it's already about hardware then I would rather start with an extension for power banks. Those has the capacity to effectively power a real torchlight, not only for show.

9. Sep 28, 2018 #8
    Thank you.

Will it be a complex Multicolor Torch Smartphone app for design & development?

Radio buttons displayed in the app for selecting a single led color choice for display.

Thanks & Regards,
    Prashant S Akerkar

10. Sep 28, 2018 #9

phinds

Gold Member

No, it will be utterly trivial if the hardware is in place, but no one is going to PUT the hardware in place, so I'd suggest you forget about this concept.

11. Sep 28, 2018 #10

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

As mentioned, unless you work for Apple in iPhone development (or at one of their competitors), this is not something you will likely be able to do. And the cell phone makers would need some compelling business case to justify the extra cost of adding this new feature into their phones.

Something a bit more useful would be an IR LED transmitter that you can power from your phone's USB port that you use along with your phone's camera to be able to see in the dark (for moving around a dark house, for example, and not waking up your spouse with a light). It would likely use less power than the torch.

Or, if you are adamant that you want to be able to change the color of your phone's torch, just make a small version of this and stick it onto the back of your phone over the torch output...

http://www.company7.com/optec/graphics/ifw_wheel.jpg

ifw_wheel.jpg

12. Sep 28, 2018 #11

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You might be able to buy a USB powered colour changing light.

13. Oct 8, 2018 #12
    LED can do that .

14. Oct 8, 2018 #13

phinds

Gold Member

WHAT led can do that? Be specific

15. Oct 8, 2018 #14

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

There are bi-color and tri-color LEDs, and there are "white tuning" circuits that can drive them to different areas of the color spectrum. I've worked with them on a recent LED lighting project at work. Some small bi/tri-color LEDs have the separate die in the same LED package, but for higher powers, they will generally be tight LED arrays on a common heat sink:

https://eenews.cdnartwhere.eu/sites...files/images/amscontrib3530.jpg?itok=tC_r-Gzj

amscontrib3530.jpg

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  16. Oct 8, 2018 #15

phinds

Gold Member

Cool. Hadn't heard of those. Thanks.

17. Oct 8, 2018 #16

Drakkith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Then there's no issue.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted