1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Smashing electrones

1. May 28, 2010 #1
    hey all new to the forums

and i was wondering can you? if so what will happen is you smash electrones ?

cheers
    mike clarke

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2010 #2

mathman

Science Advisor

What do you mean specifically by smash? Electrons are elementary - they can't be broken up.

4. May 30, 2010 #3
    I was wondering , you know how when they collide particles in an accelerator that their kinetic energy can turn into mass , I know electrons are elementary particles but if we collided 2 electrons at near the speed of light could their kinetic energy give off new particles , but we would still retain the 2 electrons of course .

5. May 30, 2010 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Smash electrons at what?

LEP at CERN, before it was decommissioned to build the LHC, was an electron-positron collider.

Electrons are also used to "smash" at stationary targets to produce x-rays in your doctor's office.

You need to be a bit less vague with your question for the rest of us to answer what your question.

Zz.

6. May 30, 2010 #5

apologies for being so vague i was but basically this guy has the question i was meaning to try to ask..

i am working on a theory about something that is quite puzzling to some and lots choose to just ignore and disbelieve.. basically how the "nazi bell" Could work and if it could..

7. May 30, 2010 #6

mathman

Science Advisor

Have you tried google? (electron-electron collision).

8. May 30, 2010 #7
    Re: smashing electrons

ya but none of them answered the question.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook