What Theories Are Impacted by the New Discovery About the Magellanic Clouds?

• Thread starter Bart
  • Start date
In summary, recently it was discovered that both Magellanic clouds are actually 'Travelers' from outer space and not children of our galaxy as previously believed. This discovery challenges some theories and raises the question of what theories were dependent on the Magellanic clouds being assigned to the Milky Way. The source of this discovery is the Astrophysics Journal.
Bart
Yeah, firstly hi again. For guys remembering my short episode on the forum - aaaw that's nice you remember me :)

But getting to the point.
I've read on the news recently that both Magellanic clouds were discovered to be 'Travelers' from outer space. They aren't as thought children of our galaxy, or smaller sisters, but they come from somewhere and are just passing by.

So I begun with a good brief information. This discovery seems to destroy some theories - and that's my question. What theories were depending on LMC/SMC assigned to Milky Way?

Thanks a lot and cu :)

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Welcome back, Bart. While I'm no astronomer, it will always be helpful if you could provide a link to the source where you read about this discovery.

Last edited:

1. What is SMC and LMC?

SMC stands for Small Magellanic Cloud and LMC stands for Large Magellanic Cloud. They are two dwarf galaxies that orbit the Milky Way galaxy.

2. Why are SMC and LMC often misunderstood?

SMC and LMC are often misunderstood because they are not as well-known as other galaxies and their structures and origins are still being studied and debated among scientists.

3. How far away are SMC and LMC?

SMC and LMC are about 200,000 and 160,000 light years away from Earth, respectively.

4. What makes SMC and LMC unique?

SMC and LMC are unique because they are the two largest and closest dwarf galaxies to the Milky Way, making them valuable objects of study for astronomers.

5. What are some misconceptions about SMC and LMC?

Some misconceptions about SMC and LMC include thinking they are just smaller versions of the Milky Way, when in fact they have different structures and histories. Another misconception is that they are insignificant or unimportant, when in reality they play important roles in shaping the Milky Way and other galaxies through their gravitational interactions.