Smelly feet and arm pits

  • Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • #1
wolram
Gold Member
4,267
557
I know the smell is produced by bacteria, but will an odour less person live longer than a smelly one? the bacteria must rob some of the life force from a body?
 

Answers and Replies

  • #2
mgb_phys
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
7,774
13
Bacteria on your skin are good for you.
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/eid/vol7no2/larson.htm

Includes the advice that surgeons shouldn't shower before entering an operating theatre because it leaves clouds of bad bacteria around their body
 
  • #3
misgfool
I know the smell is produced by bacteria, but will an odour less person live longer than a smelly one? the bacteria must rob some of the life force from a body?
Another key question concerning life, universe and everything? Although bacteria may drain the bowl of life force (or mana), I doubt that non-stinky persons are free of bacteria.
 
  • #4
BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
185
80
I know the smell is produced by bacteria, but will an odour less person live longer than a smelly one? the bacteria must rob some of the life force from a body?
Yes. Married men live longer than unmarried men.

Actually, it depends. To a certain extent, cleanliness means less illness. Taken to the extreme, as in all the antibacterial stuff people buy for their houses nowadays, it becomes a little unhealthy, as in mgb_phy's post. (although I'm not sure about the surgeon, since presumably, he scrubs in a fairly sterile environment right before entering the operating room - there shouldn't be a lot of bacteria to replace what he's scrubbed off).
 
  • #5
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
4,149
64
(although I'm not sure about the surgeon, since presumably, he scrubs in a fairly sterile environment right before entering the operating room - there shouldn't be a lot of bacteria to replace what he's scrubbed off).
You've never done the test? Make a bacterial culture of your finger before and after washing your hands. After washing your hands with water and soap usually results in a higher amount of bacterial colonies, due to the opening of your pores. Surgeons use anti-bacterial substances to sterilize their hands during washing.

I don't recommend using anti-bacterial substances in everyday live, as the bacteria living on your skin in normal circumstances are non-pathogenic and can actually be beneficial.
 
  • #6
misgfool
You've never done the test? Make a bacterial culture of your finger before and after washing your hands.
I thought normal people don't do this kind of stuff but now could you tell us the proper way of cultivating bacteria?

After washing your hands with water and soap usually results in a higher amount of bacterial colonies, due to the opening of your pores.
So what is the benefit of washing hands?
 
  • #7
wolram
Gold Member
4,267
557
You've never done the test? Make a bacterial culture of your finger before and after washing your hands. After washing your hands with water and soap usually results in a higher amount of bacterial colonies, due to the opening of your pores. Surgeons use anti-bacterial substances to sterilize their hands during washing.

I don't recommend using anti-bacterial substances in everyday live, as the bacteria living on your skin in normal circumstances are non-pathogenic and can actually be beneficial.
I did a test when i went to hospital, there were 2 nurses with a little stand in the lobby.
If i remember correctly, they gave me some jelly substance to rub on my hands, then they used a light to show the Bactria up, then they told me to go wash my hands which i did, (very thoroughly), they repeated the test and my hands were still lit up all over, so i had a lecture in hand washing, i walked away thinking that test was a load of cobblers, i work in the food industry, and we are shown how to wash our hands, there are even spot checks in the high care areas.
 
  • #8
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
4,149
64
I thought normal people don't do this kind of stuff but now could you tell us the proper way of cultivating bacteria?
I think this one of the first experiments you do when you take a microbiology class. You could try it at home by mixing gelatin with a bouillon cube, heat it to sterilize the solution, let it cool and make thumb imprints. Here is a recipe: http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/mole00/mole00472.htm The bacteria will like to grow at 37oC, but you can also leave it at room temperature (in which case it will take two days for colonies to appear).

So what is the benefit of washing hands?
To wash off harmful bacteria that you picked up during the day (and other nasty stuff), the bacteria living in your pores are part of your natural flora.
 
  • #9
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
4,149
64
I did a test when i went to hospital, there were 2 nurses with a little stand in the lobby.
If i remember correctly, they gave me some jelly substance to rub on my hands, then they used a light to show the Bactria up, then they told me to go wash my hands which i did, (very thoroughly), they repeated the test and my hands were still lit up all over, so i had a lecture in hand washing, i walked away thinking that test was a load of cobblers, i work in the food industry, and we are shown how to wash our hands, there are even spot checks in the high care areas.
I don't think it was the bacteria that lighting up, but rather the jelly that you rubbed on your hands (I've never heard of such a test).
 
  • #10
I don't think it was the bacteria that lighting up, but rather the jelly that you rubbed on your hands (I've never heard of such a test).
In my experience, black lights can cause both a compound in urine (possibly the urea molecule) and compounds in soaps to light up. Some bateria may light up (be phosphorescent)... but I agree that the jelly might be the cause.... it may be even harder to remove than ordinary bacteria. (Reminds me of back in the days when our dentist gave us red pellets to chew to show us how poorly we brushed our teeth!)

A long time ago, when I added a pet to my lease, the landlord can to inspect the carpet (pre-pet) with a black light. There was a big spot in from of my washer (where I'd spilled some detergent) that lit up like a rocket even though I'd tried to clean it our well, and there were some spots in the spare bedroom (where the prior tenants had kept a puppy... glad I picked that as the spare room, not my main room!) He never inspected it post-pet (although cha-cha's always been good :!!) )... since there was a flood due to a clog, and he was going to have to replace most of the carpet anyways.
 
  • #11
wolram
Gold Member
4,267
557
I don't think it was the bacteria that lighting up, but rather the jelly that you rubbed on your hands (I've never heard of such a test).

You most likely are right, it was a long time ago.
 

Related Threads on Smelly feet and arm pits

  • Last Post
Replies
17
Views
3K
  • Last Post
Replies
19
Views
37K
  • Last Post
2
Replies
37
Views
21K
  • Last Post
Replies
3
Views
3K
  • Last Post
2
Replies
35
Views
4K
  • Last Post
Replies
1
Views
999
  • Last Post
Replies
7
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
18
Views
3K
  • Last Post
Replies
24
Views
4K
Replies
11
Views
3K
Top