Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Smile No, don't

1. Sep 19, 2008 #1

Staff: Mentor

Note: "FrontRunner" = the commuter train that runs between Salt Lake City and Ogden, Utah, which began operation last April.

"Standard-Examiner" = the Ogden newspaper.

Note the quote from the Utah Transit Authority spokesperson:

I guess I was lucky that I didn't meet those criteria last summer.

According to the chief of UTA police:

Um... rail enthusiasts tend to be interested in "things associated with the operation of the system."

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 19, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2008 #2

Staff: Mentor

I once had a railroad police officer threaten to confiscate my camera, even though I was off-property. He argued that the raiload had privacy, and I was not entitled watch the switching in the yard or take pictures. Anyway, the real issue apparently was concern about investigators taking picture for liability.
    Wow - it seems a bit paraoid on the part of UTA/TSA.

Off the train? What sensitive pictures would be taken on a train?!! RR photographers usually take pictures by the ROW -- outside of the train.

It's certainly a different world since 9/11. Many photographers have been harrassed because the railroad, TSA or local law enforcement go overboard.

In my case, I take pictures of tank cars, which of course often carry hazardous commodities.

Railfans/photographers are a different breed of people. :biggrin:

Hey JT, I'm sure you know about this site - http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?