1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Smile No, don't

1. Sep 19, 2008 #1

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Article

Note: "FrontRunner" = the commuter train that runs between Salt Lake City and Ogden, Utah, which began operation last April.

"Standard-Examiner" = the Ogden newspaper.

Note the quote from the Utah Transit Authority spokesperson:

I guess I was lucky that I didn't meet those criteria last summer.

According to the chief of UTA police:

Um... rail enthusiasts tend to be interested in "things associated with the operation of the system."

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 19, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2008 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I once had a railroad police officer threaten to confiscate my camera, even though I was off-property. He argued that the raiload had privacy, and I was not entitled watch the switching in the yard or take pictures. Anyway, the real issue apparently was concern about investigators taking picture for liability.
    Wow - it seems a bit paraoid on the part of UTA/TSA.

Off the train? What sensitive pictures would be taken on a train?!! RR photographers usually take pictures by the ROW -- outside of the train.

It's certainly a different world since 9/11. Many photographers have been harrassed because the railroad, TSA or local law enforcement go overboard.

In my case, I take pictures of tank cars, which of course often carry hazardous commodities.

Railfans/photographers are a different breed of people. :biggrin:

Hey JT, I'm sure you know about this site - http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/

Last edited: Sep 19, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?