Smiley Codes - Learn How to Represent Your Emotions with Symbols

In summary, most smileys should have codes related to their appearence, like: :frown: :(:eek: :O:bugeye: 8|:biggrin: :D:wink: ;):cool: B):tongue: or :tongue2: :P:cry: :*(I assumed it was so that people could think of the "type" of smilie they wanted and go ahead, not everyone understands "txtspk"not everyone understands "txtspk"
JamesU
Gold Member
shouldn't the smiling smiley be coded as :) instead of : smile :

shouldn't most of the smileys have a code that is related to their appearence, like:
:frown: :(
or :eek: :O
:bugeye: 8|
:biggrin: :D
:wink: ;)
:cool: B)
:tongue: or :tongue2: :P
:cry: :*(

Physics news on Phys.org
I assumed it was so that people could think of the "type" of smilie they wanted and go ahead, not everyone understands "txtspk"

*Kia* said:
not everyone understands "txtspk"
Understands what?

*Kia* said:
not everyone understands "txtspk"

... whos that?

:rofl: see I told you :biggrin:

txtspk - text speak

Why do you keep wanting to mess with our smilies? :grumpy:

They can't change them now, even if they wanted to. It would mean they wouldn't display in any of the posts that have them until now if the codes were changed. That happened the last time they changed smilies and didn't return them all to their original names (I think :blushing: used be just :blush: so there are old posts around that are missing their smilies now. :frown:)

I prefer just typing in the name of what they are. I'd never remember which is which between 8) and B). They look the same to me. :tongue: Plus, if you were making that numbered or lettered list you wanted to make, then you'd have to remember to turn off smilies so your list didn't wind up bulleted by smilies! :eek:

As long as you don't rebuild (in the administration panel) or edit the old posts, the smilies should be left unchanged... I know it's the case on IPB, I don't know how that process is ruled on Vbulletin, but it could be the same.

An admin may enlighten us. :wink:

i think :wink: is the smartest icon =]

I think we need way more smilies. Y'know: beer drinking smilies, slap yourself on the head kinda smilies, hangover smilies, thinking smilies, beer drinking smilies, dizzy smilies, beer drinking smilies...

Well, if an admin decides they want to add more smilies - just point him/her my way :biggrin:

TeTeC said:
As long as you don't rebuild (in the administration panel) or edit the old posts, the smilies should be left unchanged... I know it's the case on IPB, I don't know how that process is ruled on Vbulletin, but it could be the same.

An admin may enlighten us. :wink:

It may be that the pages are smiley-parsed every time you load a page - that is, it's saved as : smile: in the database and the database-fetch code also translates them by replacing that string with an image. If that were the case, then changing the translation would affect the old page no matter what. Although, I suppose they could add a condition to use one translation for dates before the change date and a different one for after.

Well, the :: surrounding the smiley is clearly a tag to tell the parsing engine that the text inside should be interpreted as a smiley, not as normal text.

However, a valid question is "Why isn't a smiley coded as : :) : "

in invision boards, a :smile: is coded as :)

and when you create custom emoctions, tey can be coded however you want.

with phpBB boards you just simply tell the smiley admin panel what string you want to refer to which smilie.

quite simply you can tell the database that if the string xyz appears (no quotes, no :'s, etc) then display a frowning smilie or whatever smilie you have in your database.

one forum I use has a LOL graphic is chuinky blue any time lol is written with a spcae either side the blue graphic is displayed.
the space on each side ensures that it does not insert the graphic into words.
LOL lol LoL l0l all were included to show the blue graphic - you can have more than one code per smilie!

1. What are smiley codes?

Smiley codes are a series of symbols and characters that are used to represent different emotions or facial expressions. They are commonly used in digital communication, such as text messaging or online chats.

2. How do I use smiley codes?

To use a smiley code, simply type the corresponding symbol or character into your message. For example, to express happiness, you can use the :) symbol. There are many variations of smiley codes, so it may take some time to learn them all.

3. Why are smiley codes used?

Smiley codes are used as a way to express emotions in digital communication. They can help convey tone and add context to a message, which can be difficult to do through text alone. They are also a fun and creative way to communicate with others.

4. Are there different types of smiley codes?

Yes, there are many different types of smiley codes. Some are simple symbols, while others may include a combination of characters. There are also variations of smiley codes that represent different cultures or languages.

5. Can I create my own smiley codes?

Yes, you can create your own smiley codes. However, it is important to make sure that they are easily recognizable and not too complicated for others to understand. It may also be helpful to check if the smiley code already exists before using it in your communication.