Smilies and advanced mode messages, or pms

• Thread starter mattmns
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with clicking on smileys while writing a message. The issue occurs when the message is longer than the text area and has a scroll bar. Clicking on a smiley takes the user to the top of the message. This problem is noticed by multiple users, using different browsers such as Firefox and IE. The issue seems to be a bug in Firefox and occurs erratically in IE.
mattmns
I just noticed this a while ago. Anytime I am writing a message and I click on a smilie, while my message has passed the length of the text area (meaning that there is a scroll bar), I am taken to the top of my message. This could be just me again :rofl:

Note: I am using firefox 1.0.2, Ubunut 4.1.

To test this on your side, go into advanced mode. Press enter until there is a scrollbar and then click on a smilie.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your right, not sure why it happens, but it doesn't happen in IE. So maybe it's just a bug in Firefox.

I have a similar problem as well (but on IE), when the page isn't loaded, none of the scripting works (like the quotation, text formatting, or the smilies) until the page is fully loaded. It takes me to the top of the page if I try to click on them too early. But that is just a little observation, more of a nuisance than anything else.

I have noticed something similar to this with IE, but it doesn't (as far as I know) depend on scrolling. Just, sometimes when I click on a smiley it puts me at the top of the page instead of making the smiley. This happens erratically. If I click again it usually makes the smiley correctly.

1. What are smilies and advanced mode messages?

Smilies are small images or icons used to express emotions in written messages, while advanced mode messages are messages that are hidden and can only be viewed by certain users with special permissions.

2. How do I use smilies in my messages?

To use smilies, you can either type out the corresponding keyboard symbols (e.g. :) for a smiley face) or use the insert function provided by the messaging platform.

3. Can I customize the smilies available to me?

Some messaging platforms allow users to add or remove their own custom smilies, while others have a set list of smilies that cannot be changed. Check your platform's settings to see if customization is an option.

4. What is the purpose of advanced mode messages?

Advanced mode messages are typically used for private or sensitive information that should not be visible to all users. They can also be used for certain commands or actions that only certain users should have access to.

5. How do I send a private message (PM) to another user?

To send a PM, you can usually click on the user's profile and select the option to send a message, or you can use a command (e.g. /pm [username] [message]) if your platform supports it. Private messages are typically used for one-on-one conversations between users.