How can I fix messed up LaTeX in my old posts?

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter Fredrik
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex Tags
In summary, there was an issue with LaTeX formatting in a post on Physics Forums, causing the 4 to appear on a new line and the rest of the paragraph to be messed up. The issue was resolved by changing some smilie codes.
Fredrik
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I noticed that the LaTeX in one of my old posts is messed up. The problems start with this piece:

##C:(a,b)\to \mathbb R^4##

The result should look like this:

##C:(a,b)\to \mathbb R^4##

But instead it looks like this:

##C:(a,b)\to \mathbb R^4##.

Actually it's even worse. The 4 is on a new line, and the rest of the paragraph is messed up even worse. https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/active-and-passive-lorentz-transformation.679890/#post-4316036

Is there a better fix for this than to use "plain" tags as I did above?

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you change something? The two lines in Fredrik's post look exactly the same here (apart from the period at the end).

mfb said:
Did you change something? The two lines in Fredrik's post look exactly the same here (apart from the period at the end).
yeah I changed some smilie codes

Likes PeroK
Thanks Greg.

For those who found this thread after Greg made the change: There was a sad smiley after the C. In the thread I linked to, the 4 after the ^ appeared on a new line, and then the rest of the paragraph was messed up. Some plain text was interpreted as LaTeX and some LaTeX was interpreted as plain text.

Likes dlgoff

1. What are "Smilies between LaTeX tags"?

"Smilies between LaTeX tags" refers to the use of emoticons or smiley faces within LaTeX code. This allows for the insertion of graphical elements into otherwise text-based documents.

2. How do I add "Smilies between LaTeX tags" to my document?

To add "Smilies between LaTeX tags" to your document, you first need to use the LaTeX package "graphicx". Then, you can use the command \includegraphics{smiley.png}, replacing "smiley.png" with the file name of the smiley face image you want to insert.

3. Can I use custom smiley face images in "Smilies between LaTeX tags"?

Yes, as long as the image file is in a format supported by LaTeX (such as .png or .jpg), you can use custom smiley face images in "Smilies between LaTeX tags". Just make sure to include the file extension in the \includegraphics command.

4. Are there any limitations to using "Smilies between LaTeX tags"?

One limitation is that the smiley face image will be inserted at the exact size and location specified in the code. It may not resize or adjust automatically depending on the surrounding text. Additionally, the smiley face image may not appear in some document formats (such as plain text) or when using older versions of LaTeX.

5. Are there any alternative methods for adding smiley faces to LaTeX documents?

Yes, instead of using "Smilies between LaTeX tags", you can also use the package "wasysym" or "marvosym" which provide predefined commands for inserting smiley faces and other emoticons. These packages may offer more customization options and may be compatible with older versions of LaTeX.