Smith Chart: Calculating Impedance with Loss/Leakage

• Thread starter Magna Visus
  • Start date
In summary: If you're looking for somebody who can show you how to do something with a Smith Chart, then he's your man.
Magna Visus
Hello guys,

I am using the Smith Chart to calculate impedance in lines, adapted lines, and lines with a stub in parallele (Short circuit).

I understood how to get Zin using the chart, first calculate reduced impedance, draw the circle, etc...

Now I have a question regarding this, and hopefully someone can clarify this.

If we have leakage/loss (γ=α+jβ and α non null) I have been told that I need to calculate how much loss in db/λ I have and then translate the old zin (reduced Zin) vertically by this same amount in oder to get the new zin, is this correct?

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
anorlunda said:
ping @sophiecentaur . Another spring cleaning thread.
I think the Smith Chart is more convenient to use for lossless lines. I should imagine that the way to deal with a lossy line would be to take a number of short sections of line with lumped components added to give an equivalent value for the loss in each section of line. (using the sort of method that the OP describes, adding an appropriate Impedance or Admittance then rotating the chart by a small phase angle (That would need to be less than λ/8). This would produce a spiral of points, heading towards the centre of the chart.

Likes berkeman
Thanks Sophie, that us the last of the EE spring cleaning threads.

anorlunda said:
Thanks Sophie, that us the last of the EE spring cleaning threads.
My answer was a pragmatic one for someone who wants to use the Smith Chart. It would be easier to use other numerical methods these days. The Smith Chart was a great tool and it is still a great way of showing graphically / qualitatively how matching stubs etc. work. It will show, approximately (and understandably) the effect of losses and it teaches 'the student' about hopping from impedance into admittance and back again in a way that I couldn't begin to replace. I only ever used it in that way - with easy values - but I had a colleague who was dynamite with the chart. AND he used it to produce things that WORKED.

Last edited:

1. What is a Smith Chart and what is it used for?

The Smith Chart is a graphical tool used in RF engineering to calculate and analyze impedance and reflection coefficients. It is particularly useful for designing and matching transmission line systems, such as antennas and filters.

2. How does a Smith Chart work?

The Smith Chart is based on the complex reflection coefficient, which represents the ratio of reflected to incident voltage waves on a transmission line. By plotting this coefficient on the chart, various calculations can be performed to determine the impedance and other parameters of the transmission line.

3. What is the difference between loss and leakage on a Smith Chart?

Loss refers to the attenuation of power in a transmission line, while leakage refers to the unintentional coupling of energy from one component to another. In terms of the Smith Chart, loss is represented by a spiral pattern, while leakage is represented by a curved line that intersects the center of the chart.

4. How can the Smith Chart be used to calculate impedance with loss and leakage?

The Smith Chart has various scales and lines that can be used to determine the impedance at any point on the chart. By taking into account the effects of loss and leakage, the impedance can be accurately calculated and adjusted to match the desired specifications.

5. What are some common applications of the Smith Chart?

The Smith Chart is commonly used in the design and analysis of RF and microwave components, such as antennas, filters, and amplifiers. It is also used in troubleshooting and optimizing transmission line systems, as well as in network analyzer measurements.