1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Smoke alarm sensors

1. Jan 10, 2006 #1
    hi, me and my friends all help each other with physics, and weve been tolk that in our test next year there will be somthing on senseors so we thought a little project wold further our knowledge!

So i think im gonna do one on comparing Photoelectric smokealarm sensors to ionization smoke alarms, however i dont know wether it would be enough to do a project on, do any of you guys no what kinda scienific tests i could carry out on them.(i have the school labratory to use) all i can really think of is testing them to see which one is more efficent.

thank guys. x
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2006 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That sounds like an interesting project in applied physics. I assume you're using a reflected beam with a photosensor as a trigger. You already mentioned efficiency, but remember that you don't want it to be too efficient. You will want to design your detector to trigger only when a minimum degree of obfuscation of the beam occurs. No one wants the smoke alarm to go off whenever they light up a cigarette! You could conduct some research on how much beam obfuscation there would be if there were a small fire in the room with the detector.
  4. Jan 12, 2006 #3
    do you think it would be possible to measure the voltage accross the to plates in a ionization method smoke alarm. when the alpha particles are not being obstructed at all.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?